Door edge trim installation

Carbuff2

I just had to do this last year on mine when I installed an NOS set of trim.The first thing you must do is loosen all the nuts

that hold the door skin to the rear of the door so that   a pretty wide gap exists. The door edge guards actually slip in between the inner

and outer door skins on the Riviera. Next put a little light grease on the edge of the door, and then starting at the very bottom, pop it on

by hitting it with your hand. Do not use any type of mallet as this may dent the trim. Once the bottom starts to go on,   tap on it with your hand while slowly working your way up to the top. Also, if your molding is NOS like mine was, you will find that it looks like too narrow a gap in the molding to even think about getting it to go on the door. On mine , I forced a phillips screw driver into the gap on the molding at one end and slid it down the length of the molding, opening up the gap some before I tried to put it on the door. Once you get the molding all the way on, retighten all the nuts that hold the rear of the outer door skin to the door. 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Instead of using grease on my NOS door guards, I used a clear silicone sealant which actually made it easy for the stainless to slide over the lip of the door edge, and once it had cured, moisture and dirt would not get trapped in any voids.

A few taps with a rubber mallet and a block of wood insured the stainless trim was seated. Any access silicone can be easily removed without harming the painted surface of the door. The '68 does not have a removable door skin.

It's OK to silicone on thin fragile metal parts as long as you know they will never ever need to be removed again.

The glue bond on silicone is so strong that you would have to destroy the edge guards to remove them in the future. In this case

I'd use grease to ease the installation.