Body filler vs. 2k high build primer

Guest pehernan

Guest pehernan

This is about my 1936 Plymouth. Time finally came to start painting our car. I finished the sand blasting and I'm planning to apply epoxy primer as the first layer. the question is if I should use the 2k Build primer to cover some pitting present in the fenders or is more recommendable to use some body filler instead. I'm trying to keep it all metal, but at the same time I want it (the paint job) to last and look good.  

Guest johnjackson

Polyester primer.....never ever ever put filler over paints or primers, this will cause mapping . Filler causes the paints and primers to swell up and ruin the finish. It may not be noticeable right away but in 1-2 months it will show through.

Guest pehernan

I truly appreciate all your input. Yesterday I sprayed the epoxy primer and look really nice and definitely I'm planning to use the polyester primer that all of you have recommended. 

If there is anything else that you consider that I should know. please let me know.

Epoxy Primer Great. read the tec sheet for your epoxy primer. if deep pits give a coat finish glaze filler but after epoxy is dry and in the window of time (read tec sheet) . Block sand filler and another coat of epoxy primer then your 2K primer,

May I ask what brand of Epoxy are you using?

Guest pehernan

Epoxy Primer Great. read the tec sheet for your epoxy primer. if deep pits give a coat finish glaze filler but after epoxy is dry and in the window of time (read tec sheet) . Block sand filler and another coat of epoxy primer then your 2K primer,

May I ask what brand of Epoxy are you using?

Hi Tommie,

I used Southern Polyurethanes, great product, first time doing this kind of job and everything came out really nice. Since is getting cold and most likely I'm not going to be able to apply the color until next spring, I called them yesterday ( also they have the best costumer service that I have seen in a long time) and they told me to leave it in the epoxy until I'm ready to paint and them use 2k Urethane as the build up primer.

Guest pehernan

Definitely I'm discarding any body filler and now I have a little of more knowledge about the subject , but I still undecided if:

1-  use a polyester primer as a build up first and then apply a coat of epoxy primer as a sealer

2- use a polyester primer as a build up first and then apply 2k urethane primer on top.

3- just use 2k Urethane as the build up primer and then the base color.

I truly will appreciate your input.

Been a SPI user for at least  8years.   The best products and customer service in the business.    

Nothing wrong with skim coating glaze over those rust pits once the panel has been epoxy primed.  It's my preferred method of controlling build thickness where I want it.  I've stripped many a car that used polyester fill over the entire panel and the build thickness is scary and for no reason.  You want to fill the pit not bury the panel.   

I normally stick with SPI epoxy for the entire process.  Sometimes use their 2k but I like using the same product from bare metal through sealer.