Remy Type L Magneto

AVS619

My Remy Type L magneto no longer functions properly. Fires on only number two and three cylinders but no spark on one and four. First, is anyone familiar with a Remy Type L magneto that would talk with me about them? I am sure someone has worked on a Type L and could save me from trying to 'reinvent the wheel' as it were. Is there anyone who knows magnetos who would repair work on this one? I know there are magneto repair people out there, just do not know them at present. This Remy is one of the older models (is original on my 1909 Regal) and is made of brass and bronze, no pot metal. Finally, I am looking for a complete Type L magneto and/or a parts Remy L (the main problem on mine seems to be within the points 'house', as Remy calls it) or at least I would be interested in the points parts. A magneto is not something I have any experience with so I do need help on this one. Please contact me at brasscars@charter.net or call me at 920-648-3067. Thank you indeed! Thomas. 

• 1 month later...

I hope I am not steering you wrong. I am not familiar with the Remy magnetos, but Bosch and several others I have worked on use a points housing with two (sort of inside-out) cams inside the housing. The distributor is run by a gear off of the armature. On four cylinder cars, two cylinders are run by one internal cam, the other two cylinders are run by the other internal cam. With a six cylinder car, there are three cylinders run off each internal cam.

If you lost two cylinders, alternately fired by one single cam, it is likely the problem lies with that cam and/or the point's adjustment relative to it. It could be as simple as either opening or closing the points gap a couple thousandths. I did once see a magneto where one of the cams came loose and fell out of place.

Again, I am not familiar with Remy magnetos specifically. But when I read your question, this was the first thing that came to my mind.

Good luck!

W2