1966 Riviera Speedometer R/R

Carbuff2

Does anyone have information on how to remove and replace the speedometer on my 1966 Riviera.  I have another working unit that I want to exchange but do not know which is the

easiest way to remove the old one and install the replacement one. Thanks in advance for any information.  Is there an article in the Review that I may locate? Paul

The whole instrument panel needs to come out. Its a multi step process. SOB the first round. I think the first one I ever did took 2 hours. At one time I could remove them in 15 minutes but its been 6 years since I pulled the last one so forgive me if I miss some details. This should get you started.

Remove dash pad, 3 screws vertical screws above plastic lens and two nuts

Remove horizontal chrome dividing strip below panel and above lower metal covers. Gently pry off to expose Phillips screws

Remove bottom metal dash covers including ash tray

Remove metal cover from steering column or cover it to keep from getting scratched.

Depress stop tab and pivot glove box fully down to floor

Remove HVAC control - this is a pain with cables, light bulbs, wiring and vac hoses

Remove radio - This is optional but makes instrument panel a whole lot lighter when lifting out.

Disconnect all wiring from panel visible from below

There are several 1/4" hex screws across the top of instrument panel visible after removing pad - remove

There are two nuts centered top to bottom at each end of the panel accessed from inside. The one on glove box side is easy. Think its 11/32 or 3/8 wrench nuts. The one on the far driver side is the most difficult as its hard to see and get at. You'll need patience and dexterity here. If car is equipped with A/C remove the vent ball assembly.

At this point tilt the dash forward just enough until you can reach in and disconnect the main wiring harness and speedometer cable. Once you are sure all wiring is disconnected begin to lift the assembly out very carefully. You can loosen the mounting bolts for the steering column to lower it for a little more fanangling room but not necessary.

Not sure about the shift indicator if you have a column shift car so watch that.

Once its out on the bench removal of speedometer disassembly is straight forward. Be gentle as the plastic cracks easy around the small push clips that retain it. There are clips and screws. You'll also want to polish the plastic lens, replace all the bulbs, check the printed flexible circuit for hot spots, clean connections, etc. If you have speed alert or cruise option now is the time to insure the wind-up spring contact on the speedo is working.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thank you JRIV,  I have an electrical mechanic that looked puzzled when I asked that he remove and replace the speedometer, and I had no info to offer as a guide.  Thanks to you, I will now show him this so he can get an idea

of what is entailed.  Thank you again, Paul

Paul,

Hopefully you mechanic has some experience of this nature. Its not that its overly complicated but there are a lot of things that need put back together properly. If someone has no experience with earlier Rivs it may be more of a challenge for them.

What exactly is the problem with your speedometer? Typically these are very reliable other than the speed alert or cruise switch mechanism failing.

This mechanics does full frame off restorations ... mostly GMs, some Buicks.  He is very diligent. 

At this point the speed-0 does not register the speed, the barrel appears to not be stuck or frozen.

First I will have him check the cable, check the gear and turn it manually to see if there is movement ... before we decide to R/R.

as you stated the speed-0 may be Ok, just anticipating what it may be.  Paul