1958 Buick - engine mount replacement question

chris_58

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone out there ever replaced the engine mounts on a 1958 Buick without taking the engine out?

I am sure the AC, generator and power steering pump need to be removed or at least moved to the side to get better access. I would then gently move the engine up with a jack to get the old ones out and the new ones in. Is that feasible?

Thanks for any advise.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've pulled motors out and checked or changed mounts but never in the car. Sorry, can't help you there but if you a have chassis service manual it might direct you.....

I know there is not much room to lift the motor because I tried to remove the oil pan while in the car and then decided to pull the engine.

Curious, what model are you working on?

You should be able to change them without pulling the engine.  It will need to be raised a bit so you can remove, though.  Either by jacking up the engine from the bottom or lifting with a hoist.  (Someone will cry about the comment about jacking it up at the balancer).  You only need to raise it a couple inches.  Keep an eye out for the fan hitting the shroud, and power steering hoses stretching/tearing.

• 2 weeks later...