Setting the timing 430 ci engine

Guest taongisurvivor

Guest taongisurvivor

OK, I'll fess up right now and let you know this is about my 1969 Electra engine, not the 67 Riviera.  I had the carb rebuilt by Sparky's (excellent work), and replaced the points, rotor, condenser, distributor cap, and re-gapped plugs.  I set the dwell to 30 degrees and it locked down.  A few carb adjustments are necessary, but I wanted to check the timing first.  I plugged the vacuum line from the advance and loosened the distributor bolt.  Hooked up the timing light and ...... the readings are not even close.  So far off that the mark on the harmonic balancer does not even show up anywhere near the degree marks on the tab.  I have turned the distributor both directions until the engine dies, and the timing mark will not come into view.  I have confirmed the clip is on Number 1 wire (Driver's side forward cylinder, first plug clockwise past the distributor window).  What's up with this???  Any ideas why the marks won't line up???

Guest taongisurvivor

Issue resolved!  Two problems:  First, the idle was set at 1000, which was causing the centrifugal weights to advance the timing.  Adjusted idle to 550'ish and re-set dwell to 30 degrees.  Next, somebody had switched the location on the carb for the vacuum, so the distributor was taking vacuum from the pcv line.  When I resolved that, the timing was still way off but at least I could see the mark.  Set to 0 degrees, re-adjusted the dwell to 30 degrees, re-adjusted the idle to 550'ish, wash, rinse, repeated several more times until I finally got it dialed in.  I still need to adjust the choke to get that right, but the old girl really sounds nice.  Sexy.  Thanks all.   

Guest taongisurvivor

I'm not sure what a dial back timing light is.  It was one of those digital jobs with a mode in which to set an advance, but I had it set to zero.  I got it dialed in and she runs beautifully.  I have not been able to get the transmission to drop down a gear when I floor it, but she idles like a sewing machine.  Gave her a good wash and put the top down, and me and the wifey went for a drive this morning.  Honks, looks, and thumbs-up everywhere.  Life is good right now.  Now to shift over to the Riviera.....  I have decided to pull the rear differential and do some rust control and replace the upper bushings.  The panhard and control arms were a rusted mess, but I got them out and bushings replaced and all metal sandblasted and painted.  Now that is making everything else under there look worse.  I have given myself two weeks to clean it up as in another month I am going to Afghanistan, possibly for a year.

Guest taongisurvivor

The wipers do work.  I'll have to add that to the "to-do" list as I have now shifted over to the Riviera.  The rear differential is now ready to drop.  I have only to disconnect the lower shock connections and cut the flex brake line and lower.  I am amazed the brake line did not destruct on its own as it is dry rotted to almost nothing.  I used the grinder here and there and it is cleaning up better than I expected.  I am looking forward to getting her painted and re-installed.  Too bad I did not take pics before I started.