Help: 1955 322 nailhead valley pan gasket replacement

Guest Super_Hermitage

Guest Super_Hermitage

I have a 55 Buick Super with a 322 Nailhead that is leaking quite a bit of oil from the valley pan. I have decided to replace the gasket, I took the inlet manifold off but couldn't get the valley pan off because the inlet castings on the heads. So I removed the water pump and timing chain cover in order to slide the pan out the front. Even with all the bits removed I can't slide the pan out because of the breather baffle on the pan hitting the front of the block and the inlet castings preventing me from lifting it up. I am starting to think I am going to have to pull a head off! Tell me I am wrong, how do I get this darn valley pan out ?

I recently did that job. You have the breather downpipe off off I assume. I did not need to remove the water pump to do this. If I recall the cover can be moved to one side and lifted out the other side. Pretty sure

post-54093-143142530022_thumb.jpg

that's how I did it. BTW while you have it off, change the breather filter mesh. Willie "Old Tank" has a tutorial on his page. It is likely clogged with years of accumulated sludge. 

post-54093-143142401486_thumb.jpg
Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

Guest Super_Hermitage

Thanks for the info and tips, I managed to slide the pan out the front with a little coaxing and I vacuumed the the inlet and block valley to remove all debris :) Now the real fun begins, putting it all back together.