"T" head jug boring question..........

alsfarms

What is the best equipment for use to bore out to an oversize, "T" head jugs.  The original bore is 5-3/4" so that needs to be a consideration.  They are not blind holes but nearly so which eliminates using the modern conventional cylinder boring equipment.  What type of equipment should I be looking for?  Help or your ideas please.

Al

Look for someone who has a Heald planetary grinder of suitable size. The block is mounted by big right angle brackets on the work table. The grinding wheel spins on a stem which revolves with adjustable off-set. Willys-Overland had smaller ones that were used to make the sleeves of the old Willys Knights. Alan Chamberlain bought about a dozen of those in 1936 from their Indianapolis works: He and his brother discarded the top section and made micro-boring machines for piston pin holes. Their Rolloy Piston Co in Melbourne used these for about 40 years. I have one of those, and a good workable one of the big ones that will re-grind bores, but we are too distant to help you. There must still be people in USA with one of those. Failing that, it might be possible to hone them with a big diamond hone, to an oversize.

Here is a couple of pictures taken that show the jugs.  I do not see or feel anything nasty.  They will be going to the machine shop this Friday for clean-up and mic work.  I am hopeful that I can get by with a good hone then on to new pistons.

post-82676-0-55891000-1441050151_thumb.j

post-82676-0-07261600-1441050270_thumb.j