Intermittent power window problem on '63 Continental Sedan

starfireelvis

Hello everyone and thanks again in advance for any suggestions provided.

Seeking some troubleshooting advice for my friend's 17,000-mile 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan that she purchased last year; it was made road-worthy after years of garage storage, having only amassed less than 400 miles the previous 35 years or so. She has enjoyed it immensely since taking delivery of the Lincoln last fall.

One of the issues addressed was the power window situation; a refurbished master gang switch and two window motors were replaced earlier this year, and until a couple of weeks ago everything worked perfectly.

The evening before the Gilmore Lincoln Meet in Michigan, she noticed none of her power windows worked. I suggested replacing the fuse, which she found was blown. She replaced it, and they worked for a few minutes, then the new fuse blew as well. Since then, she put in another fuse, and everything has worked for the most part, but now and then she will get no response from the windows, until at some point she tries them later, and everything works once again.

Her local mechanic, who is well-versed on old cars, had the Lincoln late last week, and had not yet determined where the gremlin is; everything appears good behind the door panels.

Could there be a bad ground somewhere? Or are their other accessories that either run off the same circuitry where the fuse was blown, or some sort of relay (which I doubt)?

I recently obtained a wiring diagram for the '63 Lincoln off of eBay, which should arrive at her address by mid-week, which should be helpful. I have checked with a couple of other local friends that I know who have similar-era Lincolns; they agree that they are among the best-engineered cars of that and other eras, but also added that the electronics are (for whatever reason) even more problematic to resolve if a diagnosis is sought for a short.

Regardless, any troubleshooting advice, or passing along of any "tendencies" that we all know some of these classic cars are susceptible to, is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Check the harness where it enters the driver's door from the A-pillar midway between the upper & lower hinges.  That is a wear-point and there may be some either bare, or pinched wires in that location.  Opening and closing the door would explain its sporadic operation and untimely blowing of fuses.

Craig

Guest 65Starfire

Also if I remember correctly there are thermal circuit breakers in line on the passenger interior fire wall at the transmission hump that heat up and open.  Ill try and see if I can look it up in the shop manual.  Most likely the grease for the window tracks is hard and causing the motors to overdraw and heat up the breaker.

• 9 months later...

Bringing this one back to the top; at the end of last year, prior to storage, the problem with the windows had seemed to work itself out; however, after getting the Lincoln out of storage this week, the ol' bugaboo reared its ugly head again, and none of the power windows work, either from the gang switch or at each door, nor do the power vent windows.   

To update, I am pursuing this on behalf of a friend who lives in another state, and trying to assist from afar.   I am thinking that it may be another blown fuse, which will be checked tomorrow, which will likely resolve the problem for a time.  But if everything stays true to form, the fuse (if it does temporarily resolve things) will likely blow again.  Are there relay switches involved?   A newly refurbished gang switch and two new motors were obtained early last year.

Any other suggestions (or feel free to confirm what has been suggested previously) how to troubleshoot this issue?  Again, the vehicle sat fairly dormant (though well-protected and housed) for 35 years, and just cracked the 18,000 mile mark late last year, if that is a consideration.

Thanks again for your assistance in advance,

Mike

• 4 months later...

Check your wiring diagram, see what else is on the same circuit and whether it works when the windows don't.

I found on my Starfire the ignition switch accessory lead was burned at the ignition switch. It would open when it got hot and become functional when it cooled off.

Good luck, Dave

Moving this one back to the top; my friend has recently purchased a 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible, and has a stuck side window on the rear driver's side.  Are there special considerations regarding the power windows on the convertibles during these years?  Please offer any troubleshooting tips for either the '63 or the '67.   Thank you...