Replacing Rear calipers

Guest Coronet440

Guest Coronet440

I'm having trouble getting the rear calipers off the car. The parking brake cable seems to be impossible to remove from the caliper, yet appears to need to be removed carefully so that it can be installed on the new caliper. Any idea how it disconnects? The service manual is not very helpful to that end.

I'm having trouble getting the rear calipers off the car. The parking brake cable seems to be impossible to remove from the caliper, yet appears to need to be removed carefully so that it can be installed on the new caliper. Any idea how it disconnects? The service manual is not very helpful to that end.

Tools, if you don't have the right ones you have to work harder and getting around the spring tension is a bugger. 

You don't have to remove the parking brake cable to remove the caliper, but you will need to remove the caliper before removing the parking brake cable.

Without a spring compressor I think it's easiest to go to the cable yoke and remove some cable tension, as much as you can without taking it completely apart. You can take apart if you want, but it's a bugger to put back together when you're fighting spring tension. It won't remove your tension, but it will give you enough slack to get the job done with a big channel locks. You must squeeze the spring enough to free the cable end, easier said than done and easier to get off than it is back on.

When you release the spring tension popping the retaining clip and pulling the cable out is easy.

Guest Coronet440

I assume you're referring to that spring hooked onto the caliper? I removed the spring, but the main reason I'm replacing the calipers is that these were so locked up from rust that that lever doesn't budge and I can't seem to get the pin out. The cable itself isn't adjustable is it? As it is, I may just take a sawzaw to the caliper and be done with it. I can take a picture of it later so you can see what I'm dealing with. Also, if the ignition is in the off position but you allow the brake fluid to drain from the rear brakes, is that going to empty out the accumulator, and if so, would that be a problem? As a side note, my pump kicks on at about 4 taps of the brake pedal, so I'm probably in a new marker for an accumulator as it is.

I know someone asked on my other post, but I do have a '93 LeBaron parts car that donated it's engine to my TC that has 4-wheel disc brakes and I do have the ability to do a conversion. But I don't want to lose ABS (even though my abs light is on all the time now anyways)

Yes, I was referring to the spring on the caliper and parking brake cable tension is adjustable where the cable from the foot brake meets the caliper cable and with rusted calipers now a known issue, I recommend pb blaster soaking for the adjustment nuts on that cable. With rusted calipers you could also have rusted cables and it wouldn't hurt to soak those too.

Nobody knows rusty and seized parking brake cables like rust belt people and even a lever seized tight with rust will move when you apply the blue tipped wrench and a hammer. MAP gas torch will do in a pinch. Get the caliper off so you aren't fighting hard steel in the path of travel, get the brake line off and fluid out so you don't start a fire, heat the pivot point till it glows and tap the arm towards the cable end. This should go without saying, but it's really bad for the hand to grab a hot caliper and you need to figure out how to use what you have to hang onto this thing, before you light the torch.

If you don't have to worry about a core charge, it's your brake and cut with a saw if you want. If you're planning on using the rear calipers from the 93 LeBaron you might be changing a lot more than the calipers as I don't think they are a direct fit.

You will need to bleed the brakes when you put things back together. If you are needing a brake fluid flush feel free to let the line drip, if not, you're going to want to cork the banjo. I use plastic line caps but rubber fuel or vacuum line will do.

I know someone asked on my other post, but I do have a '93 LeBaron parts car that donated it's engine to my TC that has 4-wheel disc brakes and I do have the ability to do a conversion. But I don't want to lose ABS (even though my abs light is on all the time now anyways)

Loose the ABS and install the entire rear suspension from the 93 LeBaron. Much better brake system!