1949 Buick Woodie Parts on Craigs List

48woodie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/18/2015 at 6:11 AM, 48woodie said:

I saw this on Craig's List.

aaaaaaxz.png

I recently got the pleasure of restoring a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Woodie, and it is missing the lower tailgate hinges.

These are unique to only 1949's.

If this project is still around, perhaps they would sell them to me if they have them.

I would totally appreciate any help from you, 48woodie.

Cheers, Mike

Hello Mike, I like the wood on your '49 Buick Super. It appears to have a light stain on it. How did you do that? What brand/color did you use? What clear coat did you use? Where did you get the panels? Did you have to have them custom made? How thick are they? Is the mahogany veneer honduran or african? I am researching these questions for my 1940 Lasalle woodie now. Thanks, Tom Boehm New Albany Indiana. 

19 minutes ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hello Mike, I like the wood on your '49 Buick Super. It appears to have a light stain on it. How did you do that? What brand/color did you use? What clear coat did you use? Where did you get the panels? Did you have to have them custom made? How thick are they? Is the mahogany veneer honduran or african? I am researching these questions for my 1940 Lasalle woodie now. Thanks, Tom Boehm New Albany Indiana. 

Greetings Tom,

I am currently working on a 49 Roadmaster Woodie, with just gorgeous original wood.

Pics to follow soon...

The green one we finished had some wood made when it came here, the owner had died, so it sat in probate for several years, then got sold.

So the wood he had made had naturally aged, and the new pieces we made to complete it didn't match the "aged" wood he had made.

We found a "Minwax light oak" stain made all the wood match well, after trying many options.

Usually stains aren't used on Woodies, this was a unique case where some older wood had to match some new wood.

Then, of course it was finished with many coats of marine varnish, by the way, this wagon had "Captains Varnish" used, which I highly recommend.

It seems to dry harder in less time than other varnishes we have tried, and just seems to make the project finish better.

But, truthfully, the stain brought out the grain!!

Which is tempting me to play around with that more!!!

As far as the mahogany, that is a different story.

I am not sure if it is Honduran or African mahogany, but it is gorgeous, wherever it is from.

The wood on the 4 doors are made of ash, and a mahogany veneer is glued in the recess.

However the rear quarter panels actually are made up of 3 pieces of wood: the top is ash, center is solid mahogany, lower is ash, all laminated together.

I am not sure if that is how the factory did it, but the previous owner did it that way, and it worked for us at the time.

The 49 we have here now, does have all original wood, and my old memory doesn't remember if it is the same.

Right now it is away getting it mechanically sound, so I can't just hop up & see, but it will be back hopefully soon, and I will fill you in.

Feel free to remind me of this, since this old guy has a fading memory...LOL

I hope this helps, Tom.

Cheers, Mike

Hello Mike, I have been trying/testing a variety of varnishes. I am surprised you used a marine spar varnish because the wood on your green '49 Buick did not have the deep yellow/amber tint typical of traditional varnishes. That is partly what I liked about your wood. Maybe the stain disguised that yellow/amber tint. Did you use Captains 1015 or Captains Ultra Clear 2067? I have made samples with Epifanes, Letonkinois, Sikkens cetol marine, and Flagship 2015. Flagship is made by the same company as Captains. Did you try Flagship? By the way, my sample of Epifanes on Ash and Mahogany has been outside in Indiana for 3 full years now and has yet to peel. It had a heavy amber tint however. 

As far as the wood panels, after much research I am going to get 3/8" marine plywood A/B grade from Menards(local big box home improvement store) and have a local veneer company apply ribbon grain mahogany veneer to one side and birch veneer to the other. All things considered, that is the closest I could get to the original while still being durable. The original panels on mine were 5/16" thick using a center core with birch and mahogany faces. Thanks, Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, we used Captains 1015, which is noted to have amber tone, on the can.

It sounds like you have much more experience with varnishes than I do, but I enjoy it all.

We recently had the 49 Buick

rear quarter original wood returned for refinishing, so I checked the quarter belt wood...

It was originally, like the door belts, made from ash with a mahogany veneer added in the recess.

Good luck with your project.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been consumed with personal issues...

Like finally marrying the love of my life!!

Sorry, she replaced Woodies, the previous love of my life, LOL!!

I am headed to Jamaica for a four month honeymoon in about a week, but will try to keep up while there.

Meanwhile, progress on the 49 will continue in my absence, and I'll try to add pics as I get them.

Cheers, Mike