1927 Peerless Six-80 grille shell question

truckmen

Hello all,

After more than a year at the person's location, I finally had my 1927 Peerless grille shell returned to me albeit unfinished. Now, I am attempting to get the grille shell restored with new nickel plating with someone else and have a question about it. 

There is a hole near the bottom for the crank. Is that hole round or is it supposed to be slotted?

There is also a very tiny hole just above that opening. Is that supposed to be there as well? 

I have included a few photos so that you may see what I have for a shell. It looks quite bad as that is how is was returned to me by a "so-called" plater in Montville, Maine.

post-119608-0-84368700-1437095831_thumb.

post-119608-0-51023300-1437095847_thumb.

Hi Ralph,

I went and looked at the rad shell on my 1928 Six-80. It looks identical to yours, however there is clearly a round hole for the crank to go in. The hole doesn't reach all the way to the bottom and there's even a slight dip down of the bottom edge of the rad shell to accommodate the round hole(visible on both your rad shell and mine). The curved top of that cut-out at the bottom of yours describes the top 1/2 of the hole correctly...only it should be a perfect circle and not a d-shaped cut-out. The little hole you mention would be for the round crank-hole cover, affixed with a rivet or machine screw, nut and washer and making the cover able to cover or slide out of the way. Did the shop stamp your order ticket with It's Too Hard For Us, or We'll Nickel and Dime But Not Nickel Plate, to help explain things? Hopefully they did not attempt to sandblast sheet metal.

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Was your rad shell like this when you got the Peerless a couple of years ago, or did this happen at the shop? One thought is alignment. If motor mounts aren't in place and in good condition sometimes, the crank won't reach the fitting it goes into, so someone in the past may have taken tin-snips to the shell so they could crank start it in a pinch.