WIRING QUESTION

LAS VEGAS DAVE

As I've stated I'm a new owner of my 38 Buick. It is supposed to be all original however I think the wiring may have been replaced with a new correct looking loom. My reason for this is that each wire has a little nylon or some type of plastic band on the wire near where terminal is with a number on it. I don't think that is original. Can someone tell me more. Also if it isn't original then maybe some company has the wiring instructions that were used with the loom and it would have the numbers on it. The car was in the Lewis Jenkins collection for about 30 years and the fellow that was shop foreman doesn't remember ever rewiring the car. 

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

Yes, those little numbered labels come with  the replacement wiring harness, to aid with the installation. They are keyed to a wiring diagram and a numbered list that comes with each wiring harness. The fact that the car does not have its original wiring harness on it is probably a good thing, as the original ones break down and lose their insulation, making short circuits and fires more possible.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

That is what I thought. I am happy its been done as everything electrical is working fine with the exception of one of the heater motors. I will thy to find out from the shop foreman if he might remember who supplied the wiring looms to Lewis. Maybe I can then get a copy of the instructions. One heater motor acts like it is trying to freeze up and makes a squealing noise. There are two heater switch knobs and they light up when they are turned, each turns on a different motor in the heater. 

Guest Barneys_Bud

A popular reseller is Painless Wiring.

You might look and see of you have a fuse block.  If you do then it most likely been replaced.  I know on my 41 the fuses were an odd size and located some where in line on the wire.  You are much better off to have a central fuse pint.  Not original but much better. 

It sure sounds like the wiring has a modern setup.  Take a hidden wiring connector and look at the end of the wire.  All the modern wires have a teflon insulating core with woven cloth on the exterior to look like original.  The older wiring does not have the teflon insulation.'

Bob Engle

It sure sounds like the wiring has a modern setup.  Take a hidden wiring connector and look at the end of the wire.  All the modern wires have a teflon insulating core with woven cloth on the exterior to look like original.  The older wiring does not have the teflon insulation.'

Bob Engle

Thanks Bob, good idea, I'll do that.