Buick Super Riviera 1958 - P6tu

P6tu

I would take the old hose to a local auto parts store that has vacuum hose by the length and get you some new hose. NAPA is usually pretty good about that kind of stuff. No sense re-using the old, brittle hose. It got 60 years out of it, maybe lay it to rest? Use weather strip adhesive. Apply it to the booster, not the hose, and then slide it over and let set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P6tu said:

Or is there another reason why I should replace the rod, Old-Tank?

Just that little thing called BRAKES that we are talking about!   I would never again 'rebuild' wheel cylinders when new ones are available (and cheap); why use a questionable rod if a new one is available with a reasonable price.  When I did one of mine many years ago, I had to have a rod machined out of stainless steel (that cost $250 in 1987).

16 hours ago, old-tank said:

Just that little thing called BRAKES that we are talking about!   I would never again 'rebuild' wheel cylinders when new ones are available (and cheap); why use a questionable rod if a new one is available with a reasonable price.  When I did one of mine many years ago, I had to have a rod machined out of stainless steel (that cost $250 in 1987).

Brakes, yes, but the function of the rod is just to displace the fluid...

Now, what comes down to prices and availability, then eBay is my only friend... But I hate import taxes and the delivery times. It took a month for me to get the rebuild kit for the brakes and the total cost just for the delivery, parts, import taxes was almost 1000$... Not so cheap, if you ask me... To get the rod, then it would be cheaper to let it be crafted in here, Estonia / Europe, but it would still take some time.

Little bit offtopic (not about me and not about my car) - just a general info about life in Europe:

Life is very easy and basically everything is insured. But there is a cost for it - almost everything has a conciderable tax on it and half of our salary has to be paid to the governments. So statistically, in most of the countries in Europe, they can show a high average salary, but in reality, people don't get that salary. And nobody seems to be talking about the high prices in shops for food and clothes and other commodoties. For example, 1L of milk cost around 1$. A 100g chocolate bar is about the same. One regular sized McDonalds set is around 15$. Pair of cheap noname jeans is around 50$, Hilfiger denims are starting from 200$. Gasoline - 1L is at the moment around 1,5$. Cheapest vodka is around 10$. Those are prices in my country - Estonia. In German, the prices are almost double. In Iceland the prices are basically at least three times as much. I visited Iceland about 3 months ago and I bought a 0,5L Sprite - it was 10$... 30km taxi trip from airport to the hotel was 300$ (INSANE!) and it was official taxi. I didn't pay the sum, because I thought that it is a scam or something - the hotel receptionist said, that it is a normal price and it is cheaper to use a bus. Bus ticket was around 80$... That was a FML moment. Then I also understood, why they offered the bustickets on the airplane :D.