1946-48 Continental

rexcrews

Dear Group,

I am seriously considering the purchase of a '46-48 Continental, and I would like to know the location of the paint and trim codes for these cars, so that I can verify authenticity.  I would also like to know if all of these were painted body color on the cowl and firewall.  Some I have seen are painted that way and others are painted black under the hood.  I am trying to educate myself a bit, and I knew this would be the place to turn. 

I would also appreciate knowing what especially to look for in terms of typical problems or weak areas on these cars.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rex

Rex,

I thought I would jump on here and give my "2cents worth" I have been restoring and playing with these cars since

1965, BUT BY ALL MEANS I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!  There were no paint or trim codes on the car. You can

find the body # on the small plate on firewall and also on lip of trunk lid. Each lid was fitted to each car. The black

under the hood was a short cut on a repaint, as well as the cowl & firewall; EXCEPT some '46 LCS were '42 carry

overs and 2 different colors(  dash may be a different color). Back issues of "The Way Of The Zephyr" has color 

combos listed in articles on interiors. You may be able to get your build sheet from "The Henry Ford", records founda-

tion set up for just this. Google it up . 

Now the car your looking at, does it have the V12? Do you want a runner or a show car? Are you looking to do

full restoration?  Look the car over good..... put it up on a lift or jack up and climb under. Rusted floors were always a

problem. Trunk floors all seem to have a problem ,since the lid is almost horizontal and the seals would leak. Does

it start up and run ok?  The serial # is on the top of the frt. cross member near frame, driver's side. Also on rear frame

near gas fill pipe. How complete are the trim items, such as lower trim, hood ornament, bumpers & guards. All are 

"pricy" later at  parts sales and over the internet. That's it.... hope this helps, "E", at  zephyr38@verizon.net. if

anymore questions---Larry

I have had a '48 LC for approx 10 years.  This forum is a wealth of knowledge.  Every one stands ready to help if they have had a previous experience they can share.  You will find that owning one of these cars is in itself a continuing learning experience.  If you contact the Henry Ford Museum,they can supply all of the info on original color and upholstery, build date.  They will send a copy of the build sheet.  if you give them the VIN and a fee.(forgot what it was)--     b6vt

From the LZOC Website FAQ Page:

You may be able to get some manufacturing and delivery information from the archives of the Ford Motor Company. clear.gifWe suggest you contact:

The Benson Ford Research Center
P.O. Box 1970
20900 Oakwood Blvd.
Dearborn, MI 48124 
Telephone: clear.gif313-972-6070
Fax:clear.gif 313-982-6244
Email: clear.gifrescntr@hfmgv.org

The Museum holds the bulk of the early Ford historical records, 1903-1950. Here's a recent reply they sent to one of our members:

"Thanks for writing to us at the Benson Ford Research Center with your question.

We do have production records for Lincoln vehicles in our archive, however, a museum fire in the summer of 1970 destroyed many archived Ford Motor Company production records. Here is a list of what we have: http://www.thehenryford.org/research/productionRecords.aspx. If you do not see the make, model, serial number or year your vehicle was made in the list below, we will not have production information for your vehicle. Please keep in mind that not all the runs listed are complete there are gaps in some of the series.

Production information varies, but may include serial and model type/number, assembly date, color and accessories. Data will be either photocopied or transcribed from a ledger to a prepared form. Shipment to a branch or dealer is sometimes noted on a record; very rarely is a buyer’s name noted.

If you'd like us to find the production record for your car, our fee for this service is $20.00 (this includes postage to you). Please include the vehicle engine/serial number as well as payment in your correspondence. Send it to the attention of the Benson Ford Research Center; P.O. Box 1970; Dearborn MI 48121-1970. Please make your check payable to "The Henry Ford" or, if you wish, a credit card number and expiration date may be provided for payment. Standard turn-around time for research, from receipt of payment, is two to four weeks.

I hope this information is helpful, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Kathy"