new 1936 model 40--ID numbers

rlcokc

Just purchased another 36 model 40 which was dipped years ago. The engine number is 4-3011581. The tag on frame was removed and data tag-on cowl has hole thru it and unable to see the last number but believe body number is 67114--the 4 is questionable. With just the engine number-which is used for title/VIN-is there a way to determine the other numbers for the car? Thanks

ricokc,

The Buick Master Parts List covering 1936 list the first 1936 series 40 Engine Number as 4-2995239 and the first 1936 series 40 Frame Number as 2830899.  If we subtract the first engine # from your engine # it indicates your car was number 16342.  So, if they combined the frames and engines in the same sequence, then adding 16342 to the first frame # should result in your frame # (2847241).  This also assumes that your engine has not been changed.

If you know exactly what model number you have (41, 46, 48, etc), which should be stamped on the data plate adjacent to "1936 MOD.", you may be able to determine some of the other numbers.

Hope this helps.

Les

never thought of doing math to determine the numbers. My other 36 has all tags and legible. It's engine is 4-3158661, Frame is 2991468 and body number 72493. If I do the math that means mine was late production and the 163422 produced and adding the first frame number would mean the frame number would be 2994321, if my math is accurate. It is close but not exact as the frame number is 2991468. Logic may be too simple. I had Automotive Research Services do checks on my 36 and they confirmed the numbers as shown. 

The engine number of the one I just purchased matches the VIN so pretty confident the engine not swapped and the title is from 1979.

Thanks for the good idea.

Any source know for records to double check the numbers? Other ideas? 

I have to agree with rlcokc on this.  I have data on many 1936 cars, and while some are close using the math above, not a single matches exactly and most are different by several thousand.  So it would seem that the frame and engine serial numbers were not assigned in the same order.

• Like 1

I should have thought it through more carefully before I spoke.

The Frame Number sequence pertains to all models, but the Engine Number sequence pertains to only the Series 40 models.  So, one would need to know how many of each model was assembled during each assembly run in order to even come close to predicting the Engine/Frame number pairs.  Plus there are probably other facters that affect the sequences.

So much for the math!

Les

I bought this car in pieces--the former owner was a pharmacist and had everything small in pill bottles. Did find the tag last nite, forgot to make note of number but pretty sure first number was a 2 and not 3 so and think it was 28...... Oh well still not for sure of body # but do know frame and engine as well as certain of all but one numb er of body.