Head lamp makes/brand names?

Guest Flyer1

Guest Flyer1

Please excuse my ignorance regarding these things...but i have a question.

I know that "Stabilite" like other "brand names" would have been an out sourced product? at the time like many other electrical components of the era , i know they made a couple of different size lamp set up's? with "different finishes?"....but what i would really like to know is this?

Were they a "very common" item that was fitted to many vehicles or were they a "special"?. Just asking..i need some help on this and any info. is greatly appreciated.    :)  

My guess would be that they would make whatever the customer was willing to pay for. The larger companies would have headlights made to their specifications, and might change them every year. Or, use the same design for several years. They might also specify cheaper lights for their cheaper models.

One off or very small production runs, would most likely buy an off the shelf headlight.

It was customary that when one company ordered a unique design, they had an exclusive for a year or for however long they used that design. After that, they would sell it to others.

It is also possible that different model headlights differed in subtle ways. For example, chrome plated vs painted, or with a different mounting, or different lense but otherwise the same.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Flyer1

Thanks for the replies....certainly makes things a bit "different" :)

If anyone is willing to, or has enough time to, i will get some pictures with dimensions on what i am on about, and if we could compare

notes it might help others out on to what came from where and what the subtle differences are, primarily Stabilite,of course any other info.on other brands would be a bonus as well.....that is what the thread is all about.

:)