Wanted. 1953 Buick diff carrier

Kiwimal

Wanting a 1953 Super diff carrier preferably 3.6 ratio but consider anything. I understand 1941 thru 1955 are interchangeable?

I will be visiting USA (from New Zealand) during June travelling around South & Central California so would be great to find one in that State.

Any suggestions to wrecking yards that may be dismantling a 53 Super would be appreciated as I need other bits & pieces also.

Thanks Malc

.....I understand 1941 thru 1955 are interchangeable?.....

From what you are saying, it sounds like you haven't read the article in your 1953 Buick Shop Manual where it addresses a first and second type differential carrier......while the second design is essentially the same as the first, none of the parts are interchangeable because of differences in dimensions..... 

The ring and pinion set for a 3.6 ratio was changed from 47:13 to 43:12.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Thanks for your input Al. I was relying on info gathered online. My existing crown wheel is numbered 1338131--47-13. Could your knowledge steer me in the right direction to compatible years. Thanks Malc

•  The first attachment shows interchangeable years for your 47-tooth ring gear #1338131 and is for the first type differential carrier on 1953 Buicks. With the 13-tooth pinion you wind up with a 3.6 ratio.

•  The second attachment shows both the first and second type differential carriers for 1953 Buicks.

•  A 3.6 ratio in the second type carrier (after jobs) would have a  43:12 ring/pinion set.

•  If you are replacing just the ring and pinion and want to retain the 3.6 ratio, you need to buy the same 47:13 set to fit inside the first type differential carrier. A 43:12 set will not work in the first type differential carrier.

• The ring gear saddles are spaced wider apart on the second type differential carrier.

post-85415-0-52424500-1432865332_thumb.j

post-85415-0-94620000-1432865457_thumb.j

I'm assuming that you have the first type carrier. Is that a correct assumption?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Correct assumption Al. Thanks for sharing the info. It is my intention to replace the complete carrier as at sometime mine has let go big time. Presumably why the car finished up in the salvage yard I purchased it from.

Cheers Malc

Edited by Kiwimal (see edit history)

•  The first attachment shows interchangeable years for your 47-tooth ring gear #1338131 and is for the first type differential carrier on 1953 Buicks. With the 13-tooth pinion you wind up with a 3.6 ratio.

•  The second attachment shows both the first and second type differential carriers for 1953 Buicks.

•  A 3.6 ratio in the second type carrier (after jobs) would have a  43:12 ring/pinion set.

•  If you are replacing just the ring and pinion and want to retain the 3.6 ratio, you need to buy the same 47:13 set to fit inside the first type differential carrier. A 43:12 set will not work in the first type differential carrier.

• The ring gear saddles are spaced wider apart on the second type differential carrier.

attachicon.gif1-Scan.jpg

attachicon.gif1-Scan-003.jpg

I'm assuming that you have the first type carrier. Is that a correct assumption?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

little confusing, as all the info on early and late rear end differences are for 1955 not 1953 in those publications. 1955 Buick  service bulletin book.

little confusing, as all the info on early and late rear end differences are for 1955 not 1953 in those publications. 1955 Buick  service bulletin book.

that attachment looks like straight from buick publication, did they change that diff. configuration in 53 and then again in 55?

if you are going to travel around central california, you will want to stop and see jerry turner at turner's auto wrecking on old highway 99 and willow ave on the south side of fresno, ca. he is closed on sunday and monday, the phone number is 559-237-0918.

Thanks pontiac1953. Certainly have Turners on the 'must visit' list. I have already communicated with them bur surprisingly no diffs available. Welcome any other suggestions of interesting places to call by - Big M @ Williams is scheduled for a looksie.

Surely someone must know of a discarded diff that could be stripped of its goodies lying somewhere in the great State of California.

Boarding my 15 hour flight shortly & desperately need some excess baggage in the shape of a diff carrier to bring back home.

You might want to seriously consider changing your search and advertising to read.....1946 to early-1953.....rather than just limiting it to 1953. Not many Buick owners and others know what years fit other years. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)