1936 buick wiring--heater

rlcokc

Wired up my heater to #9 on headlight switch--hot from contact on fused connector on headlight switch. Worked but when I turned off car the bulb inside the heater switch continued to draw current and illuminate. Obviously need to connect to something that is not hot when car is turned off. Could it just be the switch-assumed that bulb not illuminated except when switch turned on. Suggestions?

Mark I did get my fat a** under the dash once again and thought it may be the last trip. But issue with heater will cause me once again to get on my back and work upside down.

I also wired my radio directly to battery for lack of a better source altho now I might just wire radio to the #9 I used for heater and hook up heater somewhere else--guess I could hook up heater and radio to the same? Not a electrical genius so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank god these old cars aren't more complicated or I'd mess up more than I already do.

Rod

On my '40 the heater fan was originally hooked to the switched side of the ignition switch. But it was aftermarket. When I redid my wiring I added a relay for all accessories to limit the current thru the ign switch, but I have a driver so I was not worried about keeping it 100% original.

Cheers, Dave

I've conquered the electrical. Went ahead and wired heater to headlight switch and wired the radio directly to battery as I didn't want to put anything more on switch and my radio has fuse inline. The heater switch I found I had reversed the connection and now works three speeds plus the off position. Now to have the interior finished and believe other than touching up paint where I dinged it putting car together I will be finished, I think. Appreciate everyone's help and looks as tho I may be acquiring another 36 to restore. Thought I'd best keep with something I kind of know. Thanks again

Rod