Chrome

I am restoring a 1949 Chevrolet pickup, to stock, and I hope some day to be able to show it. Doing most of the work myself, except what I must farm out, such as machine shop work, rebuilding of the lever shocks, etc. My question is, not that I am anywhere close to this stage, how important is it do have "show chrome" versus regular chrome? It seems to me these trucks were not originally built to today's show quality standards. For instance, I obtained a NOS door handle, and the chrome has imperfections in it, I assume existed at manufacture. I am not talking about rust pits. So, do the judges expect to see what would have come off the showroom floor, or absolute perfection? Also, I read somewhere that clear coat paint jobs are not considered original, and would result in point deductions. Any opinions?

Brian, <BR>If you went back in time and took a car of the show room floor of any car dealer and placed that car on the field at the 2001 Pebble Beach concourse de'elegance - it would lose. The reason is that the cars today in serious judging are "over restored". This has come about from the guys who have money to burn demanding show winning cars. And they win. Now you can either restore the car to the way it was when new, or, you can try to win awards. If you want awards make the car better than new. Thats my opinion, and I don't think it is far off the mark. <BR> smile.gif" border="0

Gentlemen, Gentlemen......<P>To get back on topic:<P>Depends what you mean by judges, I mean where are you planning to show your truck when done...if it's the local yokel sunday afternoon car show or saturday eve. K-mart show...that might be different than a National level AACA show or any other National Level show for that matter. Also, as to NOS Chrome, remember, NOS Chrome is still 30 + yrs. old and is subject to shelf life, moisture, etc.... Not necessarily the way it came from the manufacture, so anytime you buy an NOS piece, it is still OLD, that's what the "O" in NOS is for.<P>I think generally, judges and the general public want to see the BEST, if that means perfection than so be it...it really comes down to how Anal YOU want to be and what your personal goals for the car are. There are two groups of people that show cars. Those that show them at the local level, at the high school parking lots on Sunday afternoons and the K-mart type shows and they are happy with that and it's fun, competetion is usually minimal and perfection is not required...these guys drive their cars. Then there are the "SHOW" car guys, the guys who travel, trailer their cars, and attend the top level shows, AACA, ISCA, GTO Nationals, Chevelle Nationals, Super Chevy might even be considered in there, but either way, these are shows that are high in the competetion and perfection area, not over restored, just done to a higher degree of perfection than the local cars. You have to decide what group you will be in and then you will know what to do about the door handles.<P>Have fun and enjoy the hobby, do it for you not the judges.<P>Mike

Tommy L:<BR>Since you are unregistered on this forum you have the advantage of me. Yes I am from California, and no I am not a promoter of Pebble Beach, there standards, or politics, whatever that may be. I have never shown a car there and never will. I don't show my cars, period. I don't restore cars with the intent of showing them. I own my cars for personal enjoyment that includes driving them. My goal is a car that is original as we can restore them today, 70+ years after the fact, and that is enjoyable as a driver, not a trailer queen show car. Now, I don't know what I did to get you worked up on this subject, I hope this helps clear up my position.

I agree with the statement about over restored. It doesn't matter if it is at PB or not the best car is going to win. That means you will have to step up to the plate if you want to win.

Best is not the same as overrestored. Good judges know the difference and good judging systems encourage determining the difference.<P>Having said that, there are a limited number of good judges around and few really good judging systems. PB politics and good judging have little in common.<P>As HVS says now and then, just my opinion.

Mr. Huston. I guess my problem is that you are of the California elite who views Pebble Beach as the ONLY real judging venue, while I am just a dumb hick from the South who thinks that a lot of clubs have pretty good judging. Besides I drive and show a Model A Ford, and that just isn't in the PB league.<BR>I probably shouldn't question my betters.