1936 model 40 headlamp wiring/operation

rlcokc

Looked at manual and aware of the 4 settings: off, park and tail, city with park and tail, and country. No problem with park tail but confused with headlights. Post earlier on this board says on 37-38 the dimmer switch caused one light to go to bright but not both. Manual for 36 doesn't say anything about one light and assume both are to go to bright. When I press the dimmer switch the passenger light goes out and the driver's light stays on but don't believe intensity changes. Everything seems to work except for the Country setting. I'm not sure the dim/bright are as shown on wiring diagram and not sure how to trouble shoot. I've attached wiring diagram and removed the headlight switch and reconnected all wires and think I've got that right. Didn't remover dimmer switch to check yet but intend to do so. Ideas? ThanksBUICK.pdf[ATTACH=CONFIG]307859

Let's assume that it is the same as my '38. (I looked at your schematic, and it sure looks the same) If so, it is the coolest feature on the car.

City: both headlamps go to low beam, or to high beam. Low beam gives you a pretty ridiculous 20 ft of lighting. Definitely for city streets.

Country: only the passenger side goes to low beam, the driver's side stays on high, even if low is selected. The reason is that the driver's side is aimed toward the right, so it illuminates the shoulder of the road. It is the passenger side that they were concerned with blinding oncoming traffic.

Both modes: the fender mounted parking lights are on when in low beam, and off in high beam mode. This is to mark the corners of the car for on-coming traffic.

Trouble-shooting. Make sure all of your bulbs are good, and all grounds are good. Run a redundant ground if in doubt. Remove the foot operated switch and check its continuity in both modes. They get flakey sometimes. Finally, see if you can carefully open up the dash mounted switch and use some contact cleaner to clean it up a bit.

Good luck.

Jeff

Thanks--think I figured out the headlight switch and which control the headlights. I've run additional grounds and don't think that is problem. I've ordered a new dimmer switch and think that may be issue. I tested all last nite just running wire from positive on battery to each of the headlight connections on the terminal block and could identify the upper beams on both driver and passenger--all 4 worked. So assume my dimmer is faulty. I will remove and confirm hopefully tonite. Thanks for response.

Took the dimmer switch out and sure enough when tested did not transfer current from one pole to the other. Thought it was toast so took it apart just to see what was inside. Cleaned a little and sprayed with WD 40 and put back together and tested again. To my surprise it worked. The lights all worked and as Jeff says it is truly funky. Sure enough the dimmer indeed switched the passenger side to dim when in country and worked in city with both going to bright or dim. Now all I have to do is get my fat a## under the dash and install the headlight switch. I had bench tested the headlight switch before re-wiring to make certain it worked as it was supposed to. This project has taken about two weeks after work and weekends but the satisfaction of seeing it finally operate as designed was pretty amazing, as well as a little strange. Appreciate the response and just thought I'd share the experience. Jeff-thanks again.

Rod

Do the parking lights switch off when in high beam, and back on when in low beam? (like my '38) For some reason, I think that is really cool.

Also, it is really satisfying when something can be taken apart, cleaned, lubed and re-assembled. Glad to hear of your progress.

Jeff