TIRES ONE LAST QUESTION

Per the discussion started 11-1-01, tires must be of the same type construction and size as OE. Size is no problem. BUT construction is! According to the book, I should have either red or white stripe, nylon tires. black was OE, w/s or red was an option. I can find and have a deal going for some bias belted with raised white letters on them. Q. Nylon is not bias belted. Q-2, does the side wall design matter? Point deduction for both or one being incorrect? Q-3, does anyone know who makes the "nylon" tire Vs the bias belted that are made as replacements,(if it matters on points). I want to get it right before I buy the RWL bias belted tires, so I need to know asap. Thank you.

Ernie,<P>There is only one tire being reproduced in the proper 2 ply nylon for your car. That is the Goodyear Speedway Wide Tread (NF). You are correct that only the black, pin white stripe and red stripe were on the 1968. So, putting back on any raised white letter tire would only cause you continued point deductions. They started in 1969. These Goodyears tires are produced by Kelsey Tire Inc. in Camdendton, Mo. Here's the bad news, they are not cheap. Retail is $175.00 each in either version of black, red or white stripe. Being that you are close by and if you would like to see one of these, I have one on display in my office.<P> You can go another route. As far as I know, I've never seen or heard of any Corvette showing in a AACA National Meeet having point deductions for running the Firestone Super Sport Wide Ovals. These are fiberglass belted and available in either red or white stripe. (no blacks) These are priced around $130.00 each and you buy them at Universal Tire in Hershey. In fact, the guys there can get the Goodyears for you also.<P> These would be the only way to go in keeping your car looking original.<P> Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick, I have got to get down one of these days! I know which tire you speak of, and I like that you know of no one getting deductions for bias belted vs nylon, or RWL vs stripes or black. I believe Don (?) Straw who has a "68 senior car has Bias Belted, red stripes. Really would like to know for sure though. I have the opportunity to purchase a set of Firestone Bias belted RWL for $65.00 each, with 500 miles on them. I have seen them, and they are well worth it, but I dont want to err on the side of "WOW, WHAST A DEAL" and be wrong, esp. with the RWL's. Anyone else have any comments, PLEASE do it now....the tires wont last forever. <BR>Thank s smile.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

EZ VET,<P>If you are looking to get a trophy I would not put the RWL on a car that should not have them. If you are going to just drive it and not be worried about trophys - get the RWL tires. Just because the price is less for the incorrect tire is not a very good reason to get them in my book. Why are the RWL in that good of condition for sale? Is the seller going back to the proper tire or what? I have seen a couple of fellas that have been complaining for some time because of a situation almost like what you are talking about.<P>Dan

Thanks for the help in making my decission. I am going to pass on the tires. My plan is to get a set of Crager S/S for radials for driving, and use the rally wheels & correct tires for shows. Know anyone who needs the RWL, they are a STEAL! let me know. grin.gif" border="0