Rear Shock Link Washer 1953 Super

WillBilly53

Anybody know where to purchase or "fashion" the washer that goes on the inside of the frame for the rear shock link. I've noticed that mine is missing on the passenger's side. I assume it's tapered to match the taper of the shock link bolt? Is my assumption correct?

Yes, the hole is tapered.

- Unless you can figure out a way of welding a 3/8"-thick washer with a tapered hole to the inside of the frame rail, you might want to consider starting with a flanged nut with the flange installed outward so that you can weld the flange to the frame from the accessible front side of the frame rail. I say this because of the limited access from the frame's bottom side only. The washer's maximum outside diameter to fit in the frame's recess couldn't exceed 1.25" or close to it. Or, you could drill out some additional holes in the frame for plug welding the washer from the front (outside) of the frame rail.

post-41556-143143102698_thumb.jpg

- If you go with a flanged nut with the flange outside, you would have to enlarge the existing 7/16"-diameter opening in the frame for the nut portion to be installed into the frame from the outside.

- The thread size of the nut would have to be small enough for the smallest dimension of the taper.You would have to mic your shock link and get a tapered drill to match. I am guessing your typical 7° taper.

- The threaded nut would have to be drilled out precisely starting from the front side of the nut (not from the front of the flange) before you bury the nut inside the frame rail. The widest part of the taper would be in the nut and the narrow part of the taper would be in the flange.

Just a couple of ideas here.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143143102696_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al, thank you for the detailed suggestion with the flanged nut, that all makes sense. I think I'll give it a shot. I just need to find someone with a welder.

Willie, I'll hit Lamar up soon. I'm also visiting my parts car in NC this weekend and maybe I can rip out the washer from it. I'll report back.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I managed to cut out the washer from the parts car. Do I have any other options for attachment on my main car other than welding? I don't have a welder and it's looks like (and as stated by Al) it would be extremely tricky to do. Loctite 2 part epoxy weld?

Some more of Buick's 'alternative engineering'... a tapered bushing inside the frame rail and inside a stamped pocket?  Epoxy or other glues will not help more than just installing the parts  as is.  If you ever remove the shock link, then the tapered bushing will be stuck to the stud on the shock link.

Other ideas: holding the bushing in place with a smaller bolt use gas welding (brass?) to attach; or cut that section out of the frame and weld the bushing to the cut out section and then weld that back where it came from.

Willie

Thanks for the reply Willie. I'm not even sure when or how the old washer popped off. I'm wondering if it came off when i was hammering the old shock link shaft out and maybe it rolled down into the chassis? Who knows. Looks like I need to find someone with a welder.