Electrical help

alini

The 65 Coolant temp sensor plug turned to dust when I disassembled the car. Now that Im installing the wiring, I see the two plugs serve different purposes. One of the Cold Light and the other for the Hot light. So its important I get this hooked back up right. Both wires are green, one lighter than the other. Can someone post a pic of their coolant temp sensor plug so I can use as a reference. my original reference photo has too much dirt on the wires to tell color.

The 65 Coolant temp sensor plug turned to dust when I disassembled the car. Now that Im installing the wiring, I see the two plugs serve different purposes. One of the Cold Light and the other for the Hot light. So its important I get this hooked back up right. Both wires are green, one lighter than the other. Can someone post a pic of their coolant temp sensor plug so I can use as a reference. my original reference photo has too much dirt on the wires to tell color.

Here is a pic. The light green wire is going to the terminal that is fartherest to the right and lowest in the picture

post-102001-143143092572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

To add to what Winston said, the light green wire is for the low coolant temp (COLD). On your sensor and with an Ohm meter, you should measure close to a "short" (0 ohms) from the body of the sensor to one of the spade connectors. This is the COLD indicator part of the switch (make sure the connector is not connected during these tests). When the coolant reaches approx. 110F degrees you should read an open (infinity) across these same points. The other spade connector is for high coolant temp HOT (darker green wire) and should read an "open" until the temperature reaches approx. 248F degrees. This should NOT happen when the cooling system is running properly! Look for the HOT lamp on the dash during cranking only (tests the light bulb circuit). The COLD indicator will be lit until the car is warmed up properly, then it should extinguish.

Edited by dwhiteside64 (see edit history)