Delco 943H vs 943J Generator differences?

RoadsterRich

What would the difference between a Delco Remy 943H and a Delco Remy 943J generator be? Could one be used in place of the other or are there mechanical/electrical differences that would prevent this? I don't have the Delco Remy literature so I can't look things up.<P>Any education on this is greatly appreciated! If there is a general coding that can be explained rather than a yes no type of answer that would be much appreciated in addition to a a yes/no answer.<P>Thanks,<P>Rich

Sorry I cant really answer the question but I will toss out a few factoids: 943-R and 943-S generators were both used on the 1930 30-U and 1931 PA Plymouths.The 943-S was also used on the 1932 PB and on some 1933 PC Plymouths. Other 1933 and some 1934 Plymouths were equipped with 937 generators with various suffixes.<P>The 943-S was a "conventional" third brush regulated unit with the following capacities: Cold - 21 amps at 8.3 V at 2400 RPM. Hot: 15 amps at 8.0 V at 2400 RPM. I don't have any specifications on other 943 generators.<P>I too would love to see something that explained what all the suffixes mean and what the differences between various Delco-Remy generators were.<p>[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: ply33 ]

The 943H was used on the Chrysler 77 I know, not sure of other models. The specs from the manual are:<P><TABLE><BR><TR><TD>Hot</TD><TD>11 to 13 Amps, 7.5 to 7.8 Volts, at 1750 to 1800 RPM</TD></TR><BR><TR><TD>Cold</TD><TD>15 to 17 Amps, 7.9 to 8.0 Volts, at 1600 RPM</TD></TR><BR></TABLE><P>I guess the ultimate question would be, are the 943H and 943J interchangeable, with regards to ratings, mountings and pulleys.<P>Rich

Guest stude8

In some cases the suffix was a change in pulley diameter or width. The Delco numeric segment of the number is usually the same value electrically. I know 955 series generators had the same field coils but armatures had different shaft treatments.<BR>Amp ratings varied due to specific car conditions, more or less lights, average engine rpm (gear ratio for light and heavy vehicles varied widely). Stude8<BR>Stude8