Engine running Problem

I have a 1960 Rambler with a 1963 flat head 6 in it with an automatic transmission. I had the car stored for over 30 years. When I took it out of storage I had to overhaul the engine and transmission. After I got it all reassembled, I rebuilt the carborator but, it didn't work right so I took it to a person who does carborators and he completely rebuilt it. Now I still have a problem. The car idles fine and runs fine if I slowly accelerate the engine. If I try to acellerate too fast it hesitates. I drove the car and it runs fine in forward but, when I try to back up it stalls out unless I put my left foot on the break and give it more gas. I have changed the plugs, points, condensor, and plug wires. Can anyone suggest what I need to do next?

Sounds like what my Chevy II does but I don't have the backing up problem. I know my problem is in the carb. Your float level could be incorrect or one of the check balls isn't seating (which is my problem. Found out with my Dad's car having the same problem. Fixed his.)

Obstruction in the exhaust system comes to mind. And as hvs keeps quoting Matt Joseph: "90% of all carburetor problems are electrical". I'd also check out the advance mechanism in the distributor both vacume and mechanical.<p>[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: ply33 ]

This could be the accelerating pump in the carb. To check this look down the throat of the carb while working the linkage. You should see a squirt of gas. Do this with the engine off or your eyebrows might get singed if the carb backfires. Al

Checked accelerator pump and it is squirting fine. Adjusted idle and fuel/air mixture. What id does is the car works fine idling, and ok when put in gear but, as I try to accelerate it hesitates and I have to pump gas pedal to keep going. Unde load is when I have a problem. With it idling high now the car will travel forward and reverse fine till I want to go faster.<P>I also replaced condensor and I checked vaccum advance and it move as I suck on hose.<P>Any other suggestions?

Have you checked the float level and the exhaust system? The Exhaust system can be checked with a vacuum gauge. A low and steady reading can indicate this but this reading can also be caused by an intake manifold leak which is also a possible cause of your problem. Al

Im not trying to be a wiseguy but is there fresh gasoline in the tank? You may also want to check the timing. Check out my posts on the 53 chevy truck same type of problem-------Doc

Im not trying to be a wiseguy but is there fresh gasoline in the tank? You may also want to check the timing. Check out my posts on the 53 chevy truck same type of problem-------Doc