1990 cadillac deville brake problems

Guest Cal hal

Good question. It should be possible to replace and reroute the brake lines to eliminate the ABS but how will this affect the electronics? Can you just put a piece of black tape over the ABS light and keep driving? I would like the answer to this. ABS is very overhyped, and of limited practical value. Cars with ABS actually stop at the same rate or slower than a car without. ABS only eliminates skids. In other words, under slippery circumstances, you will plow straight into the other car without skidding, where without ABS you would have stopped in time with the car a bit sideways.

Guest Cal hal

The system is leaking brake fluid and the pedal has gone to the floor on occasion when I first start it up. Seems the pressure builds back up after the car runs and I keep the fluid level up. i'm driving it , but it scarce me a little.

Guest my3buicks

I believe the optional antilock system on the Devilles would be the same TEEVES system used on the Reatta, you may want to venture further down into the forum list in the Buick Reatta section. There is a lot of info on the Teeves system (if that is what you have) and I believe there has been discussion of converting to standard system as well. When working properly/maintained properly the Teeves system is an exceptional braking system.

The system is leaking brake fluid and the pedal has gone to the floor on occasion when I first start it up. Seems the pressure builds back up after the car runs and I keep the fluid level up. i'm driving it , but it scarce me a little.
Why not just fix it properly? It sounds like a bad master cylinder. It may not have anything to do with the ABS.

I agree with Rusty, the leak is likely NOT a fault in the ABS