Identifying the year of an AMC Rambler Engine

I am trying to find out the year of an AMC Rambler engine I have. The engine identificayion # is 505A03. Any ideas how I can find out the year of the engine?

What kind of engine? 4,6,or 8 cyl. <P>There would be I presume some casting date on it somewhere. <P>In the 70's the engine code number is stamped on a machined surface of the block between the number two and three cylinders.<P>in the 60's it is on either a machined surface (early)or (late) 6cyl # is located on boss adjacent to the distributor, 8cyl # on a tag which is attached to the alternating mounting bracket.<P>See what you come up with and let me know and I'll try to help you some more.

The engine is a 6 cyllinder (flat head six) where the spark plugs are on the top of the engine. The engine id # that I found on the block is 505A03. It is located where they say it should be but, the motor manual doen't go ant further as far as a chart to identify the year.

engine Id#: 505A03<P>5=1963<BR>05=May<BR>A=6 cyl. 195.6 cu.in. 90 H.P 8.0:1 comp. ratio w/ 1BBL <BR>03= the 3rd<P>May 3,1963. How's that for service? grin.gif" border="0 <P>Glad I could help you solve that one. <P>Cars & Parts Magazinge published a series of books called Catalog of American Car ID Numbers (by decades) That's were I found the info for you.<p>[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

What? No time of day? What kind of of service are you running here, any way? wink.gif" border="0 <P>Just kidding, Novaman! You really did your homework.

Thanks for the help. That is what I thought the engine was but, I needed confirmation. The guy who overhauled the engine (over a year ago) was trying to tell me it was a 1953 and I thought he was wrong. He wrote the year in such a way that I don't think either of us could really tell for sure.<P>Again thanks for the help! I off to finish the job of restoring my car.

American Motors didn't start until 1954 as a result of the merger between Nash and Hudson and continued using Nash and Hudson names until 1958 when they became Ramblers (built by AMC). The 1968 Javelin was the first car to actully use the AMC nametag.<p>[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

2 follow-up questions. <BR>1. In 1963 they evidentally used aluminum and cast iron blocks. Any idea which one I have based on the engine ID # of 505A03? It makes a difference on what torque wrench setting I use.<BR>2. I had the engine overhauled a year ago but, I have not run it yet. In order to fasten all the attachments I need to loosen some of the engine bolts. Do I need to do all of them or can I get away with doing one at a time add the attachment and re-torque it and then doing the next one.

I can't tell from the number which kind of block it is. Does a magnet stick to the side of the block? If so it is cast iron, if not it's aluminum.<P>for your parts you need to attach, you should be okay by loosening the one you need to then retorquing it. Just make sure you have retighten all of them you loosened.