Oil Filter canister for '39 Buick

Guest OneSpecialBuick

Guest OneSpecialBuick

After searching both here and on the Internet regarding an attempt to replace an oil filter on my '39 Buick Special and finding few links, I thought I'd pass along what I've found. (This relates to those owners who have a canister oil filter using a gasket to seal the canister to the base).

Recently I posed a question here regarding what appears to be a grove in the nut that tightens the filter canister to the base, wondering if there's supposed to be an O-ring in the grove. I got a good response, including information that the '39 Buick Special didn't come with a stock oil filter, so any of us that have a filter installed, are looking at aftermarket products, possibly from the dealer. With this knowledge, I was having difficulty finding specific information on my installation, understandably so! I didn't use an O-ring, still don't know why the manufacturer cut a grove in, but it's not important now, since there's no problem without it.

After research, I was able to track down replacement oil filters for this application. My installed unit has a filter base, bolted to the engine frame on the right side near the front. The base has a long bolt that extends from the base, up through the filter and through a hole in the canister, that receives the threaded nut to secure the canister in place. NAPA Auto parts, part # 1121 is the replacement filter I used. A new filter was installed with a new gasket and I started the engine. Almost immediately the oil poured out from around the canister where it contacts the base. I figured that the gasket must have slipped out of place, so I tried again and again with the same results. Then I looked at the gasket and noticed it was ever-so-slightly smaller that the grove in the canister that receives the gasket... so I cut a new gasket that seemed to fit the canister grove better, but... out poured the oil when the engine was started!

This was a head scratcher... until I compared the oil filter that I removed (that was not leaking), to the one NAPA sold me, which was based on their data base for a '39 Buick. The new filter was about 1/64" longer!!!! I then compared the number of thread turns on the oil filter canister nut WITHOUT the filter installed, to the turns required WITH the filter installed and found that I wasn't able to tighten the filter nut about 4 complete turns when the filter was installed, thus it created a leak around the canister with engine running! Here's what I did to fix it... removed the cork gasket on top of the oil filter (there's a cork gasket at both top and bottom of the filter to seal the filter to the canister and filter base). I cut a new filter gasket from material which was about 1/2 the depth of what comes on the NAPA... (sorry don't have exact measurements), installed it with the original filter canister gasket (the gasket that seals the canister to the base... and no leaks! Bottom line for those who experience problems sealing a replacement oil filter canister type, and if it continues to leak, check the height of the filter to see if it might be slightly tall and if so, consider trimming down the height by using a slightly thinner cork gasket that goes right on the oil filter. I used cork gasket material made for oil applications. John

An oil filter was optional on a Special. Having one on the car makes it virtually impossible to change a fuel pump. I've never bought any of the 10 or so 1939 Buicks I've owned that had an oil filter. However, I found a few years ago on junkyard cars. I have two in the garage, but none on any of my cars. I put one on once, but after a fuel pump failed, I just didn't put it back on again. I don't think a canister oil filter works very well anyway, so figured if it was good enough for Buick not to make it standard then it was good enough for me.

• Like 1

Guest buickkuhn
John,

I just saw this post after I replied to the other thread. You might want to check NAPA's filter #1010 to see if it fits better. Than is what I have used with good results.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

----- This is the one I run on my 41 248ci special wix # 51010 (if my memory is correct ) .