oil pressure

Well guys I've got another problem. Last night I took the truck out for a test drive and ran it pretty hard (over 100 mph) and suddenly I lost all oil pressure. Had the usual no oil in the motor sounds, but had a full stick. I just parked it in the driveway and went in for the night. Oil pump? Or something more serious? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

If you got it shut down immediately, there is a chance that there was minimal additional damage, but if you have "no oil in the motor sounds" it sounds as if you may have serious damage. Only one way to know for sure.

I doubt that any of my cars, including the 2001, would do 100 mph. smile.gif<P>However, I admit to occasionally pushing the old car to see what it will do. So it would be a little hypocritical of me to question why skyhawk felt it neccessary to push his truck that hard.<P>So, Dan, have you never pushed an old/vintage/antique vehicle a little to see how it accelerated, turned, stopped, etc.?<P>Tod

Isn't the one question in the back of every guy's mind, "how fast will it go?".<P>'69 Camaro with a 250 6cyl and Powerglide maxs out about 105 MPH. The only problem there is it takes the next 10 miles (or seemed to) to slow the darn thing back down to 55 MPH with four wheel drum brakes.<P>As they say, been there, done that, and don't need to do it again. (or at least not with anything with four wheel drum brakes) wink.gif

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I will admit to having a '59 model up to 110! The thing is, it is a rigid frame Harley Davidson and I was crossing a bridge. I can tell you that the expansion joints made for a rough ride!

Ordered an oil pump repair/overhaul kit that will be here tomorrow. Hope that cures the problem. I didn't loose all oil pressure (the guage was still reading around 10 lbs.) I took off the old oil pump this afternoon and took it to a local mechanic, he said that the oil pump did look like the problem. I have this 455 in a 71 chevy pickup with a Turbo 400 automatic trans. It'll do a 100 mph with very little effort. I don't usually drive that fast (I'm 52 years old), but every now and then I feel the need for speed.

I doubt I would ever push my Packard above 65 mph, but as long as we are confessing:<P>1986 Mustang GT: 115 mph racing a camaro across the outerbridge Crossing at 2 am.<P>1973 Chrysler 440HP: 110 mph on the Garden State Parkway.<P>Both were from the wilder days of my youth. Now I don't even exceed 65 in my regular car.

If you heard sounds associates with a lack of lubrication then it looks like you are going to be tearing it down. Otherwise will just be a matter of time!

Well, bad news. I rebuilt the oil pump today and started her up and had good oil pressure. However I had a bad clunking sound that let me know I had more problems. I really wanted to take this truck to Pigeon Forge May 4,5 & 6 so I've decided to put a 350 Chevy (that I already have built) in it and will tear down the 455 later. Thanks for all the help and comments. <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428723&a=10702122&p=45794994&Sequence=0" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428723&a=10702122&p=45794994&Sequence=0</A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428723&a=10702122&p=45795190&Sequence=0" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428723&a=10702122&p=45795190&Sequence=0</A> <BR>Check out my pictures (if this works)<BR>

Is gonna come to scrap you off the pavement. Just hope I'm not in the other car coming towards you. My wife and 1 year old daughter would be awfully upset with you after you clobber me.

Pigeon Forge. Engine swaps. Sounds like another darn fool hot rodder to me shocked.gif<P>Like Meat wagon says. PLEASE stay off of my highway. At least if Oceana is where I think it is, you are many miles away. MF