57 Chevy VIN number

I am looking at a 57 chevy 2dr Belair sport coupe to buy. The VIN number was issued by the state it was retored in because of using different donor parts. It starts with two letters from the state and a bunch of numbers. The cowl tag numbers match the color and the options. The car is in #1 condition. A trailer queen.<BR>How will this affect the value of the car??<BR>What could I expect to pay??<BR>Is it worth buying with the wrong VIN #??<BR>Can I get the correct VIN # somehow made??<BR>Or should I look else where??<P>Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to AACA, I am not familiar with a changed VIN number just because parts from other cars were used to complete the rebuild. What state is this? The VIN number can be changed from another car but probably would be a bad idea. Why do you want it changed if the car is legal now?

The first two letters of the vin number is AZ (ARIZONA). I thought it would be better to have the correct vin # and letters (VC) if I wanted to go after some awards.

In AACA judging, we do not look at the VIN number to match it to the car. I'm presuming that there really shouldn't be a problem with the car going for awards in AACA. Father Ron (ronbarn)would be better informed if there is a problem here.<BR> <BR>Now if you are looking at showing the car in a marquee show for just say 55-57 Chevys, you're in trouble. At these shows they will most likley look at the vin and all the numbers on the car need to match. VIN, Body tag which is most likely date coded and also all the casting numbers and date codes on those parts better not be newer than the build date of the car.<P>The current NADA blue book says value of a Bel Air 2dr HDTP Sport Coupe is: Low(drivable):$14,450 Ave(a 20 footer):$22800 High(excellent condition-minimal wear):$31200<BR>deduct 15% if 6 cyl eng.<P>Hope this is of some help.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 12-20-2000).]

HI Green GM,<P>The incorrect VIN plate will have a MAJOR impact on the value of the vehicle.<P>The Factory VIN was removed for one of these reasons....<BR> - stolen recovered vehicle.<BR> - insurance totalled<BR> - rebuilt vehicle<BR> - salvage car (resurrected due to $$$$)<P>The VIN is the birth certificate for the '57. If it is missing - the car is considered a "clone". I am somewhat surprised to read that AACA judging doesn't take the VIN into account. No doubt something that "may" need a review in the future revisions.<P>

Guest 70 Electra

Run, don't walk, away from this car!! As other respondents have stated, it's unlikely the car has a state-issued VIN just because the parts from many cars were used to make it. There's plenty of top-notch show cars out there that were restored with parts from other cars and they still retain their original VIN!!<P>This car will be a headache that you'll spend your life explaining---to your insurance company, car show judges, prospective buyers, etc. <P>It is possible, as you've suggested, to get the VIN from another car. You could buy a junker of the same year with a good title and "swap" the VIN tags. However, a prospective buyer can uncover this with some good detective work, and then you'd really have some explaining to do. More importantly, "swapping" VINs is generally illegal regardless of how noble the cause is.<P>There's a zillion other 57 Chevies still out there, so there's NO reason to sign up for the aggrevation this car is bound to cause!<P>------------------<BR>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra convertible

I'd like to thank you all, who have responded to my question. I've been a memeber of the AACA for number of years and this is the first time I have used this forum. I'll be checking it a few times a week now. You have been a great help.