Hershey 2014 Library Finds

Can't do Hershey without a stop at the Library. It helps when you walk in and this greets you...

post-43799-143142829951_thumb.jpg

It's almost the same type Dodge Driver's Ed module we used in Kenosha, WI, in high school in '72.

Our school had about eight of them with '66 Coronet instrument clusters, just like my Grandma's sedan.

This one has more generic gauges and a '70 Challenger steering wheel. Way cool!

Dave B. just bought an HPOF '21 Maxwell Touring, and he found some good Maxwell material.

The data pages come from the "Handbook of Automobiles", by the National Automobile Chamber

of Commerce, and it's great to have these cross-referenced sheets to aid your research...

post-43799-143142829972_thumb.jpg

I was perusing the Anderson Motor Company (Rock Hill, SC) file and ran across this sweet history piece

from the Rock Hill Body Company, probably from the '70's. When they quit building Anderson cars in 1925,

they resumed truck body production as Rock Hill Body Company and built the Library's '55 Chevy Bookmobile.

Hand-drawn, the item's pictographs are real gems!

post-43799-143142829984_thumb.jpg

Right at closing, there was a writer doing research for a book on women executives at GM.

She was getting copies made of a book that I can't wait for the next Library visit to read,

and I can't wait to own.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you what it was.

Till then,

TG

post-43799-143142829958_thumb.jpg

post-43799-14314282998_thumb.jpg

So, the book whose name I dared not say last night is, "Styling: The Look of Things", 1955, revised 1958, by GM Public Relations, with the cooperation of GM Styling Staff.

01look_of_things.jpg

The explanation of contemporary American design doesn't get any better than this 72-page treasure with scads of Mid-Century-Living imagery, including the creation of a Motorama Dream Car from an initial quick sketch to the finished, displayed product. (The romantic in me likes to think that sketch was made on a cocktail napkin,

at a swank watering hole like the Sapphire Room in the Park Shelton Hotel, Detroit).

The reason it wasn't mentioned was because I realized that I didn't have to wait till the next Library visit to discover its splendor. I found a copy on an online auction site, and didn't want it bid beyond affordability.

Google the title to find it and you'll see what I mean.

It's my best 2014 Hershey Library find because I never knew of its existence until seeing it that late-Friday afternoon, quickly leafed through at closing time, with too little time to appreciate and study it properly. That's just one of the many beauties of our AACA Library and Research Center, you never know what you'll discover, and you don't have to shell out big bucks to access its many treasures. ;)

TG

Post No. 1, "When the Yankees upset our apple cart, we had to lay low for a while!"

Priceless! PRICELESS!

I missed this post Tom. Wow that story about the Body company and its drawings was really good. I love humor in an article!!!!

Thanks for checking out the Library that day!

Wayne