Locomobile steam engine

I'm looking for any info on a Locomobile car that used a steam engine. I just picked up an engine and would like to find out about how big the boiler was in the car. I need any info on the car that can be had. I've had the engine running on compressed air at 120 PSI, and it used up a 30 gal tank in about 15 seconds. I'd like to build a boiler for it and get it running on steam. Lew

I don't know about the boiler size, but I can give you a little bit of history. Locomobile bought the rights to make steam cars from the Stanley brothers in 1899. The built steam cars until 1902 when they abandoned steam and sold the rights back to the Stanleys. From 1902 on, Locomobile made gas cars.<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3

My files show that although the patents were sold back to the Stanleys in 1902, Locomobile continued some low level of steam car production at the same time as they produced gas cars until 1905. You might try to get information from the AACA Library & Research Center (see home page to get request form). You did not really identify what you want to do with the engine other than run it. The original boilers and engines were placed under the seats of the cars so were obviously very small, and potentially hazardous. You might consider making a later boiler such as those used on the Stanleys for demonstration purposes. Several years ago I saw an ad for a Morris Minor that had been equipped with a locomobile steam engine. Don't know what type of boiler they used.

• 4 weeks later...

The boiler used by Locomobile was a vertical type, 14" in diameter consisting of 292 1/2" diameter fire tubes. It was wrapped with piano wire for added strength. The Locomobile engine was designed to operate at 150psi but you should be able to operate it at approx 40-50psi with no load. It is likely, from the sound of things, that your valves are worn out of timing. Also to get it running smoothly out of the chassis, I suggest you rig up a flywheel on a test stand and attach it to the drive sprocket. I have drawings of the boiler and other information, if interested, please e-mail me at brassera@yahoo.com<P>SB