ANTIQUE HOOD ORNAMENTS

I HAVE RECENTLY COME ACCROSS WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN OLD HOOD ORNAMENT AND I AM TRYING TO FIND SOME INFO ON IT. THE ORNAMENT IS A REDFACED INDIAN IN FULL HEAD DRESS AND IS MADE OF WHAT FEELS LIKE PLASTIC. IT IS CONNECTED TO A METAL BASE THAT HAS MOUNTING HOLES IN IT AND AN OPENING THAT LOOKS LIKE A BULB WOULD FIT PEREFECTLY. THERE IS A DATE OF 1950 ALSO ON THIS BASE. THIS IS ALL WAY BEFORE MY TIME AND WOULD LIKE SOME INFO ON THE MODEL CAR IT CAME FROM AND WHAT IT MAY BE WORTH TO A COLLECTER.THANKS

J.C. Whitney sold (and still does, I think) lighted hood ornaments of this type for several years. I remember J.C. Whitney as far back as 1968. It's possible it could be one of these items. I know of no "American" automobile of the 1950 era that used this type of hood ornament.<p>[This message has been edited by Jim M (edited 06-22-2000).]

It could be an after market item intended for use on 50's Pontiacs. I seem to recall a factory option Pontiac hood ornament with an ORANGE plastic Indian head. Don't know about illumination. Red and illuminated - probably aftermarket. ~~ HV

Need more info on the shape of the base. Maybe for Indian motorcycle application, although I thought the face was white on those. The base would of course need to fit the crown of the motorcycle front fender. Is it possible to get a photo on this thread?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Ron,<P>I was going to say that yesterday, but chickened out. I agree that the plastic face would have been white. <P>Hal

As stated by others, Pontiac used iluminated hood ornaments in the fifties. They used the image of chief Pontiac which was made of plastic usually orange in color, but it seems to me that Chief Pontiac was not adorned with a full headress, but only two feathers in his hair. Indian motorcycles also used an iluminated ornament on the front fender, and the Indian sported a full headress, but all the ones I've seen had a white plastic face. You could have a aftermarket piece that was sold in many auto stores like Western Auto, Pep Boys, J.C. Whitney and many others. A picture would help greatly to identify this object.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rcirilli

If you could post a picture at a later date it would help to solve your problem. The Pontiac is eight or nine inches long and did have a light.