hardtop to convertable?

Has any ever converted a 1964 cevy impala hardtop to a convertable? How hard is it, and where are some good place to get some info on this? Thanks for the help!

WOW!!! Ican,t imagine why anyone would take on such a project!Anything is possible but I can't emagine that it would be worth the expense both in time an money.The construction differences between the two body styles are considerable.Even if you do it, you will never recoupe your expenditure of time and money,and basicly what you end up with is a conv.made from a h.t.

To do it at a reasonable cost you need two things. A mig/tig welder(and the ability to work with sheet metal) and a ragtop parts car.<BR>You must have a lot of patience but it can and has been done.<BR>There's an old auctioneer's saying that is very true. "When the top goes down the price goes up".<BR>64 was a popular model so the parts cars are readily available.<BR>impala

Many years ago in the DC area there was a '62 Cadillac Sedan de Ville which had been converted into a 4 door convertible. As the owner of a '41 Cadillac 4dr conv. I fell in love with it and thought it was magnificent. I could find no flaws in the construction. It proves it can be done.<P>In that case it appeared that the dimensions of the 2 doors were probably equal to the dimensions of a conv. door and quarter panel eliminating the problem of length.<P>If that is the case with a chev., why not go whole hog and make a convertible sedan. Then you would have something REALLY unique. Probably easier to find a sedan to start with than a coupe.<P>Anything can be done with enough skill, time, patience and money. The parts of that mixture depend on the projrct manager smile.gif ~ HV<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 06-17-2000).]