Is undercoating original?

impala

In the final stages of an authentic restoration on a 61 Impala convertible. Prior to reuniting the body to the chassis I need info. on factory applied undercoating. The AACA judging manual does not address this but I suspect some undercoating is appropriate. I realize the 61 models were assembled in any one of some 11 assembly plants (mine-Norwalk, OH) and all plants didn't use the same techniques. In using a restoration guide for the 57 Chevy (closest thing avail.) the author states that the factory applied undercoat to the inner rockers and the rear wheelwells. Does anyone know if this is correct for the 61? I'm looking for an authoratative judge on the 61-64 models.<BR>Any help would be appreciated.<BR>Thank You,<BR>impala

Impala,<P>I'm not the "authorative judge" on this, I'm the "any help" responding.<P>As you already stated, not all the plants used the same techniques of undercoating which is true. Some did not at all. Most of the Chevrolets in that era that I have studied in the past, I have found that the inner rockers were undercoated and "most" rear wells. This was applied over the red oxide sealant protectant or paint sprayed on the floor pan. As you may already know that the body paint color usally was oversprayed onto the underside, however I have seen some that appeared as though the inner rockers were masked showing no overspray to the floor pan.<P>I also asked a friend of mine who owned a 61 convertible and he said his was completley undercoated originally. (He's been in the business of antique restoration for over 35 years. Chevrolets is his specialty.)<P>I have not heard latley of any major concerns with AACA judging over how undercoating is applied to vehicles of the '50's and '60's. Maybe someone else will jump in here about that yet.<P>Hope this helped,<BR>Rick<P><BR>

Yes, thanks Rick, it really did help. I have duplicated the red Corlar but was at a loss as to the undercoat. You are absolutely correct about the overspray. It goes against my attention to detail but I will overspray none the less. On another matter would it be possible to ask your friend with the conv. what size holes go in the rear floor pans to allow the water to drain from the conv. drain channel. Also are there just plain holes or is there some type of valve to let the water out? I posted this question some time ago with no response.<BR>Thanks again,<BR>impala

I'm a Ford guy, but I cant believe any car in early 60's was FULLY undercoated at Factory.<BR>I would be very careful where I sprayed sound deadener[as noted above] as my take is AACA Judging is becoming more sensitive to correct undercarriage appearance, including undercoating or lack thereof.

Impala,<BR>I did check with Jack about that, as I did not want to guess. He only remembers it as being a single 1" dia. hole with a rubber hose connected to the metal drain pipe and coming out of the floor pan about a inch. I can't say myself and he's trying to remember back to the late '80's. You may still want a back up on this as this is the best we can do right now.<P>rascar66,<BR>Sorry you can't believe this about undercoating on my friends '61 as I forgot that it had been done that way also. I do remember this Chevy bringing a all time record high sale when he sold it at the Dutch Wonderland Auction during Hershey week back in '87. You just don't spray undercoating all over the underside and bring those kind of prices in that kind of a crowd. I have had several low milage GM's come though my shop with full underpan coating without a drop on the chassis, I just could not remember a '61 as to not give poor info out to Impala. I have friends with '50's-'60's cars that have less than 100 miles on them put away since new, undercoated in many different ways.<P>Happy Motoring,<BR>Rick

Thanks Rick and rascar66;<BR>Your info. has been very informative - especially about the 1" drain pipes. Always knew the rubber hoses stopped about 6" from the floor pans and I guess the original pipes rotted off without a trace. My car was stored in a very wet, dirt floor garage since 1967 so not much was left of the floor area. I think the answer to the undercoating is almost anything goes.<BR>By the way Dupont's Corlar (825S) is about as good as it gets for matching the red on both sides of the floor panels but it takes forever to dry.<BR>Thanks again guys,<BR>impala