454 vs 455

A simple question wink.gif. What was the better(maybe poor choice of words) car, stock '70 Chevelle LS6 or stock '70 GSX Stage 1? The basic example being the 1/4 mile. <P>This should get interesing.

Well in every list I have ever seen on the "Fastest Muscle cars of all time" the GS Stage I is as high as third after the AC Cobra and the 435 HP '67 Vette. And never worse than about sixth. In the Dec. '69 issue of MotorTrend the Chevelle ran a 13.80 at 97.5 MPH in the Jan.'70 issue the Buick GS Stage I ran 13.5 at 105.3! The Chevy big block (in stock form) is a boat anchor! Unless it's a high horse variety it's a pig. I had a buddy with a 375 HP 396 Camaro, now that mutha ran. I have another friend with a 454 in a '54 Olds that "can't pull a sick prostitute out of an out house". Before you tell me how crazy I am and they are the fastest out there, the drags are full of them and my brothers friend had one that could beat every car in the valley ( in American Graffiti the Coupe would have got it's doors blown clean off by Falfas '55 in real life, that '55 turned in the tens! and was powered by a very hot tunnelrammed 427) I'm just speaking "in the real world". smile.gif <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

The 455 was the lightest weight and probably the last BB developed. Caddy, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds all developed their engines from existing architecture blocks. The Buick was all new in 67(for the 430), then they increased the stroke to make the 455. The HP:weight for the Buick big block is better! TN (I love Buicks!)

With the 454 weighing in at just under 600lbs and the 455 about 150lbs lighter, then by adding a set of alum heads and intake it drops the 455 into the weight range of the Chevy small block ....I love them Buicks!!

The Buick is the winner overall. Do you think that it bothers the Chevy guys when a GS that is driven to the dragstrip just won a race against a built-up, trailed Chevelle??<BR>....Just make sure that the air conditioning in your GS is turned off when racing.