1937 Roadmaster clutch info needed

37_Roadmaster_C

Hi All,

I am in the process of restoring the 37 Roadmaster Phaeton. I recently aquired a replacement clutch disk for the car... It is not the same as the disk that came out of the car. Now I am wondering where the problem is. Normally I would give Dave Tachney a call but I know he is away from home until about the 8th :(. The replacement disk came from a source that I would normally think of as reliable, not any of our normal suppliers, but good people anyway. Now I know that my car has had work done in the early 40's but I am fairly sure the transmission is origional. The disk that came out of the car is an 11 inch disk and the spline measurments in the disk are as follows: 10 spline, 1 inch across the spline tips and approximately 1.225 inch across the spline valleys. The replacement disk simply has a smaller spline by about 1/8 inch. Now my question is which one is right for a 37 series 80 car? If anyone has any info I would really like your feedback, if not I will wait for Dave....

Thanks for any input you may have. This is not really to time critical except I need to get it corrected with the supplier as I don't know if they sent me the wrong part or if my car has had some non-origional transplant. If the first then it is the suppliers problem, the later it is my problem. Either way I need to get it taken care of in a timely manner.

Thanks,

Robin

It could be that you have gotten a 40 series clutch. 40's series have a 10" disc and I believe the spline is smaller too. The 40 series transmission spline is 1-1/8"outside diameter and has 10 splines. (I just measured one of mine).

Also, when I replaced my '38 Roadmaster clutch, the first exchange replacement disc had different springs in the hub and wouldnt go back up into the bellhousing. I ended up having to have my original disc rebuilt. There are differences.

Don,

This is what I am thinking. The origional and the replacement are both 11 inch disks with 2.5 inch wide pressure plates. The springs are also different. The origional has 8 springs about 1/2 X 1 inch the replacement has 6 springs about 3.4 X 1 long and much larger spring wire. I am fairly sure that my supplier goofed but I really want to know for sure before I makew an a$$ of myself trying to make them eat my mistake. I really want to be fair and get the problem resolved with as little cost to everyone as possible.

Robin