1957 Brake vacuum tank resovoir/ check valve

1958bkspecial

I am looking for advice on whether to replace the brake vacuum tank in my '57 Century. I was told I have a vacuum leak and need a new check valve and resevoir tank. Is that part easy to find and with what is the tank replaced? My tank looks amazingly solid from top to bottom without removing it. The master cylinder has been rebuilt and new shoes and wheel cylinders put on. Pedal works great too. Just, not much brake action when pushed to the floor. What have others done to fix this and is my vacuum tank irrepairable? JR

First of all the tank is not necessary to actually operate the brakes. If it were me I would check to see if I had a strong vacuum at the check valve. Then I would remove the vacuum tank and pressurize it with no more than 5 or so pounds of pressure and submerge it in water to check for bubbles. If you do find a leak chances are very good it can be repaired with solder or even JB weld. That said, a few pin holes should not affect the brake operation with the engine running. If you are pulling good vacuum with no leaks (check the rubber hoses too) the booster may be at fault. Start the engine with the brake pedal depressed. when the engine starts the pedal should go down about an inch. If it does not the booster has a problem...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)