1948 Cadillac Power Windows

Guest 48Ragtop

Guest 48Ragtop

My car: 1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible

Recently I had some work done on my car. This included a complete new wiring harness (from Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc) as well as new hydraulics (from Hydro-E -Lectric). After the work was done the two rear windows exhibited some difficulty with downward operation. The thought was that this might be due to weak springs or other worn parts within the window mechanism. However, after a drive of approximately 50 miles, with the driver’s side front window in the down position, I was unable to operate any of the windows. Not up, not down, nothing happening when the switches were pushed. Any ideas or opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

It's not unusual for these early hydraulic systems to lose their prime and need either some extra pumping time to build pressure in the system or to be low on fluid or both. Perhaps more than any other system, these need to be used regularly to keep them in shape. It's murder on them with our old cars that get so little use and they're always losing their prime. I have yet to experience a system where this didn't happen after a period of sitting. It stinks, but it's also pretty normal.