1937 Tail lights - Bezels stuck

Guest Athol

Guest Athol

I have tonight discovered that the original "Bulux" tail lights fitted to my Australian bodied 1938 Oldsmobile are actually 1937 Buick lights!

The problem I have is that the bezels are stuck tight to the housings, and I have no idea which direction they come off. I don't want to force them and damage anything.

So, two questions. Which way do the bezels come off (eg swing back at the bottom, or slide up the lens) and is there a solvent that won't damage the components but will help get them apart?

Thanks. :)

Hi,

If you have a 1937 Buick tail light the procedure I use is to remove the screw, pull outward on the bottom of the cover (they can stick rather well due to old gaskets that have pretty much cemented themselves to both surfaces), then lift upward. There is a tab on the cover that slips into a slot at the top of the housing. I took a picture of mine that will helpfully help solve the puzzle, however I have removed the gasket to better show the tab. Sorry for the picture being on it's side. The picture is rotated correctly on my desktop, but when I attach it to the email it turns and I can't seem to rotate it back.

Good luck.

Carl

post-33892-143142565644_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143142565644_thumb.jpg