Pesky Rust Removal

steve62008

Just purch a couple of "stop gap" bumpers for my Hupmobile 527T. Didn't realize the authentic bumpers would be impossible to find. Anyway, when I restored a 53 Jag 120 in Colorado a number of years ago, I took the body to a place that dipped it in a large tank, which removed paint, primer, bondo and rust. Came out totally clean.

I live in VA now and have a 58 Rolls Silver Cloud 1 and the Hupmobile. I want to find a service that can clean a part down to bare metal, or find a good product that will remove rust, starting with the bumpers I just purch (note: I know chroming companies can do the job, but I'm probably just going to paint these to save $$$ until I can find the authentic ones).

Can anyone help?

Steve

Edited by steve62008 (see edit history)

I have had good success cleaning off rust using a copper scrubbing pad and Pledge. This removes rust without scratching. Then polish with Simichrome, Flitz, Solvol Autosol or your favorite chrome polish. It is surprising how much of an improvement this makes even on bumpers that look hopeless. Worst case, you may have to touch up a few spots with silver rust proof paint. But, they will at least look presentable.

I have had good success cleaning off rust using a copper scrubbing pad and Pledge. This removes rust without scratching. Then polish with Simichrome, Flitz, Solvol Autosol or your favorite chrome polish. It is surprising how much of an improvement this makes even on bumpers that look hopeless. Worst case, you may have to touch up a few spots with silver rust proof paint. But, they will at least look presentable.

Copper scrubbing pad and CLR works better with less scrubbing. (Calcium, Lime, Rust) Remover. Then with a nice chrome polish and a good wax.