39 CHRYSLER Heater Plumbing.. HELP !!

trickydicky43richard

I have just acquired a period correct 6V Water heater which I wish to fit to my aussie Chrysler royal.

I have also acquired a Heater valve which screws into the 3/8 NPT boss on top of the head at the firewall end.

However I am unsure of the right heater hose plumbing for correct directional water flow.

In particular where does the hose connect to the front of the engine? I can see a 3/8 plug on top of the water pump ( with a tapped hole either side) and a boss facing forward on the thermostat housing ( For some reason this has been welded/brazed over)

Any assistance will be appreciated,thanking all in advance,

Rich

RUSTY you are a legend,

Say you must be up late if your in the good ole USA, about midday here! Sunny 73 F.

Those pics and your advice helped a lot.

Another thing, I often see flathead six "water bypass" elbows adverts on E Bay where are they used ?? I nearly bought one thinking I would need one for heater plumbing, thank goodness you saved me on that point.

Re the tapped boss on a thermostat housing, what is this used for if at all ??

Rich

Ha ha I'm a legend in my spare time. it is 11:14 PM here in Ontario Canada. I don't know what "water bypass" elbows are. If you need an elbow for clearance, look in the galvanized iron plumbing section of the hardware store (or do you call them iron mongers). They take a standard pipe fitting.

Some cars had a tapped boss in the thermostat housing for a heat gauge sender but Chrysler never used them back then. The heat gauge went in the head. I suppose they could have put the heater hose on there. The postwar models had it on the water pump. Either would do. As long as there is enough pressure difference to allow good water circulation.

O ya, the heater hose must avoid the thermostat or you won't get heat until the engine is fully warm. In other words, the heater return hose must go to the water pump below the thermostat.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

G'Day Rusty,

One of the biggest mistakes we do here in Oz is to ask a visiting Canadian (cause of his/her accent)

"Are you from the States??"

Watch out,....boy you should see the hair fly....!#*!?$

Abrupt retort is almost always "NO I'M CANADIAN" Lookout.......stand back till they cool down!!

Same if you ask an Aussie are you English..(or a New Zealander ).Watchout ..*$#*!!!

Now re bypass elbow I mentioned, refer to Ebay listing 181323516192,this the one I nearly bought but thanks to you I don't need!!

Aussie Rich

From your description it seems there is provision for attaching a heater hose to the top of the water pump, either by a fitting threaded into the casting or by one that bolts on with 2 bolts. The Allpar photos show a short pipe held on by 2 bolts but if you don't have the correct part, a standard NPT threaded pipe will work as well.

If you lack for amusement try asking a visiting Irishman what part of England he comes from ha ha.

My cousin has visited Australia several times, for some odd reason he does not enjoy freezing to death in the winter. I don't know why you need a heater, I suppose it is to keep the windscreen clear on foggy nights. Does it ever get cold enough to need heat?

You can't go by the maple leaf lapel pins or flag patches, a lot of Americans wear them to be spared the embarrassment of being taken for Americans. So that is clever of you to ask if they are American, if they say "how did you know" you have them trapped ha ha.

Hi Rusty,

You should be off to bed soon, I"m about to start preparing the evening meal for my hard working wife and one beautiful daughter still at home.

However, the pets first!!

Re the cold, it's what your acclimatized to, most of our days are 75F or plus in spring/summer, my wife is a frog so when it rarely gets down to 40F she thinks the world is freezing over, I don't mind getting stiff with the cold though,,,,!

For instance we are falling into our winter now and today it's 72F predicted to drop to a dreadful 62f by the middle of June.

We are already putting the household heating on, she must be obeyed!!

Thanks for your heater help, much appreciated,

Rich

The little hose between the water pump and the thermostat housing is the by-pass you asked about Richard. You can see it in the 1935 Chrysler picture in Rusty's link to allpar. The elbow has its own little gasket that goes between it and the water pump housing. Didn't know you needed a heater in your location!!

Terry in PA

Hi again Terry, I am right now staring at your little glovebox embellishment that you sent me a while back.

In my search for heater plumbing help (which Rusty "the man who never sleeps" has helped)

I noticed the Bypass elbow etc, I wont? need one, but question, why would a bypass between pump and Thermo housing be used on some engines.

Re the cold (what cold ??!) see a few replies back to Rusting who asked same question !

Richard

Richard, I took a look at my 1939 Chrysler Shop manual supplement and in the water pump service section it says to remove the bypass elbow as part of the pump removal process so it seems your '39 originally had one. My 37 Dodge had a bypass and for the life of me I can't seem to remember where the heater hose attached to the water pump.

Best wishes,

Terry

Howdy Terry,

I just checked my Yankee parts book and it also lists a bypass elbow and hose for a C22, as you know my engine does not have one.

However it could have been omitted in Aussie assembled cars because of our mild climate?????

Who Know's !!!

At least now with AACA members help I can hopefully connect up the heater plumbing the right way around,

Rich