Removing Gas Gauge From Fuel Tank

Guest 22Coupe

Guest 22Coupe

I am removing the fuel tank from my '22 Coupe model 36 to have the heavy rust cleaned out. I will be attempting to remove the gas gauge before dropping the tank. Is there anything I should know or what to look for when I go to remove it? It appears to me that it is threaded in. I don't want to break the glass or anything else for that matter. When I first got the car it worked, but last summer it was stuck on empty. I assume it probably needs a new cork.

Thank you for your time,

Gary

Gary, I have a 1922 Model 48 (6-cylinder) with a dashboard mounted fuel gauge. There is a spiral wound cable housing that runs from the top of the gasoline tank to the back end of the dash-mounted gauge. There is a very small piano wire that runs the dash unit from the float base in the tank. Did the four cylinder models have a direct reading gauge like my 1920 has? I will post a photo here of what is on my '20. It would be most helpful for us if you could post a photo or two showing what you are working with. Please do that if you can and I will walk you through what you need to do to take things apart without breaking things that are expensive to have made. You might also send me a PM and include your phone number. Sometimes 10 minutes on the phone can beat the heck out of umpteen emailings.

Terry Wiegand

terrywiegand@prodigy.net post-56463-143142502787_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142502776_thumb.jpg

Guest 22Coupe

Terry,

I have no dash mounted fuel gauge, only a direct reading gauge on the fuel tank. I took a couple photos last night, but will have to have my daughter show me how to load them up. My setup looks similar to the picture by hidden_hunter in his thread a week ago. The filler neck is on the right side, but my gauge has a rotating drum instead of moving needle. Also, mine has a stop sign shaped collar instead of a round one. I will start spraying the WD40 for a few days before trying.

Cheers,

Gary

847-420-5565

Terry,

I have no dash mounted fuel gauge, only a direct reading gauge on the fuel tank. I took a couple photos last night, but will have to have my daughter show me how to load them up. My setup looks similar to the picture by hidden_hunter in his thread a week ago. The filler neck is on the right side, but my gauge has a rotating drum instead of moving needle. Also, mine has a stop sign shaped collar instead of a round one. I will start spraying the WD40 for a few days before trying.

Cheers,

Gary

847-420-5565

I used a can of WD40 with the little straw on it to get it right in there, and then it came off pretty easily with the strap wrench. I had to remove the spare tyres first as it is next to possible to get access otherwise

Guest 22Coupe

Well, this morning I went out to the garage to spray on the WD40, but before I did I thought I would try it for the heck of it and it came right off! The collar is like a modern day radiator cap and turns about a quarter turn stops then push down slightly and a slight turn again and off it came. It is a very simple gauge. It is not a whole drum, but about a third drum with a giant wine cork. If I dry out the cork can I then coat it with crazy glue? Has anyone tried that with success? The assembly needs a good cleaning and appears that it might be hanging up as there is some play and the metal pieces may be hitting each other as it moves quite freely.

Thanks for the advice,

Gary