Still geat heat with hea/a/c off also how do I check for codes with no diagnostic tool

Joseph44

I Everyone it's been awhile I have 2 Questions: 1: I just put new a/c unit in my 83 prk ave a/c works great But I still get heat through vents with the system shutoff,This would be a Touch Climate Control Panel for 1983 buick prk ave! 2: I can't seem to get my check engine lite checked no one has the Diagnostic tool for my under dash connector. Does anybody know how I can check for codes without a diagnostic tool??? Any help would be greatly appreciated I will thank everyone in advance for any help and have a great life!!!

Hi Pete thanks for the heads up BUT: I don't have heater valve or vacuum lines The unit I refer to is completely Electronic I have actuator doors and touch control dash mounted all touch control. It's called Electronic Climate Control But I appreciate your thoughts have a good life!!

Here is a way to read the codes for the engine. http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm-2-digit-obd-codes-free.php There is then a link on what the codes are. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/gm-2-digit-codes.php You need to use a paperclip or similar item to jumper the two terminals.

The challenge of just reading the codes like this is that some items will not let you know that there is a problem as they will be in range, but not reading correctly.

An example is coolant temp sensor. It operates between -40 degrees to I think 256 degrees F. If the computer sees a value between these values, it will not see a problem. Example, it can be 100 degress outside, engine temp is 200 degrees and the sensor reads -20 degrees no problem is seen as it is in the normal operating range but the car will be running really rich.

If you really get stuck, the dealer in Bradenton is a friend of mine.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Thanks Larry for the help I really appreciate it I will do as you said.I have been thinking of getting a diagnostic tool but not sure what to do. I'm actualy working on 2 vehicals the other is a 63 impala s s. Love both cars nothing like old iron. Thanks again Larry and you have a great life!!

Look at the first link. You put the paperclip between A & B as shown in the picture towards the bottom of the page.

Remember, there are "code readers" which will just tell you the code and then there are "scan tools" which will tell you dynamic information as the car is running. With a scan tool, you would be able to see that the coolant sensor in the previous post would be reading cold and you would know to fix that.

Here is the scanner that you need to check out your car as long as it has the cartridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TECH-1-SCAN-TOOL-W-ACCES-MASS-STORAGE-OBDII-INTERFACE-AP802-/400654801786?hash=item5d48e31b7a&item=400654801786&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

It is the GM Tech 1 that is good for GM vehicles from about 1979 1/2 and about 1995 +-. Then the next tool is a Tech II. There are some after market tools that will work, but these are designed for GM vehicles.