1931 Fuel Tank

farrellg

The fuel tank for my 1931 U124 Express truck has a mechanical fuel gauge in the tank. There is a cap that has a sight glass in addition to the normal gas cap. The sight glass cap is stuck on the tank. I can not tell if this was soldered on or maybe plaster of Paris like oil lamp caps. Any one have some insight?

G'day Farrellg I think that the sight glass that you mentioned should be where the gas gauge fits in the tank The caps that screw on to hold the gauge into the tank can be difficult to get undone without resorting to using a pipe wrench and unfortunately the knurled bit gets wrecked I would try a penetrating oil of some kind (I am not not up to speed on what products you have in the US) Here in Aust I can use Innox or good old penetrene You can make a good penetrating solution by mixing equal parts of auto trans fluid and brake fluid Also Myers carry the gas gauge cap if the one that you require is the same size Hope my rambling on has been helpful Ron

Ron, thanks. I will soak it tomorrow and see if I can get it off. I thought I had read once it was threaded, but couldn't find where. My tank is in great shape for its age. Trying to be very careful. I did break the fuel shutoff today getting it out. Thankfully the bung in the tank is fine. I should be able to come up with another shutoff.