replacement quarters

devildog93

I look around from time to time to see if anyone is making them again and saw this manufacturer come up. http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/catalog/custom-door-panels/rear-quarter-panels/621-896. Does anyone know anything about these guys? I'm going to keep digging and see what i can find, but i thought i might hit you guys up as well. 9 times out of 10 if i hit on something like this they were throwing it out there to gauge interest or have since quit producing them. Worth a shot. I'm still months away from getting to the rear quarters on my 64, but after replacing the majority of the floor and having to fabricate a few pieces myself having decent patch panels for the quarters would definitely save some time.

Never mind, after some checking it is the interior vinyl wrapped quarters as they do only interiors.

Edited by devildog93 (see edit history)

OK Devildog93: A very difficult job. I recently watched an episode of "Overhauling" where Chip Foose gets a repro 1/4 panel and cuts out the piece to match the rusted sliver of the 63 Nova he was working on. First of all, his skill set is very high and there aren't many body men (there are some) who can pull that off like Chip did.

Again......He had the new 1/4 panel, the high tech shop and the high skill set. How many Riviera People have the luxury of all three? Not me. Mitch

Guest clamshells
I look around from time to time to see if anyone is making them again and saw this manufacturer come up. http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/catalog/custom-door-panels/rear-quarter-panels/621-896. Does anyone know anything about these guys? I'm going to keep digging and see what i can find, but i thought i might hit you guys up as well. 9 times out of 10 if i hit on something like this they were throwing it out there to gauge interest or have since quit producing them. Worth a shot. I'm still months away from getting to the rear quarters on my 64, but after replacing the majority of the floor and having to fabricate a few pieces myself having decent patch panels for the quarters would definitely save some time.

Never mind, after some checking it is the interior vinyl wrapped quarters as they do only interiors.

Hi DD,

I was just about to start a thread on floor boards. Did you purchase floor pans from CARS or OPGI? Do you have pics of your progress?

Clams

• 1 month later...

Sorry Rivnut, i am on and off, working on my project and a couple of others that aren't mine. I am playing catch-up with the auto repair. It was a hobby off and on, but now it's a full-time job. I was a electronics technician for 20 years and now i'm converting back to working on cars. I might check the boards every day, or it might be a week. Nothing with any regularity to it.

As to my floor pans, i ordered them from rockauto. They fit reasonably well except the rust went beyond what the panels covered in areas, so i had to cut more and use scrap sheet metal to patch that. It most definitely is not a Chip Foose job, but it is my first time welding anything but square tubing on boat trailers. I'm fairly happy with how it has turned out so far. There were things i would do different if i had to do it again and there is definitely a flow to things. I tried to use a known good edge and work from there on each piece. Usually that was from the rocker panel side, but sometimes i had to start with a different edge just to make sure i got a good fit on the area i was having the most problems with.

I had a couple of options to putting the panels in with butt welding or lap welding. I tried both. At my experience level overlapping was probably the best option. Trying to butt weld is fairly difficult i found. Sheet metal shrinks with heat and that ended up with some big gaps in the end that i had to fill in and more fabricating. I tried using air in between welds and that seemed to help a little bit. I had a experienced welder looking over my work and giving me tips here and there, but his main opinion was that you can't learn any better than by doing. Basically he wasn't going to let me butcher it, but tried to let me figure it out on my own.

Anyway, i'll start my own thread on it when i get the floors done at least. I have one more plate to weld in on the passenger side and some cleaning up to do. After that i think i am going to hit all the seams with eastwood rust converter, seam sealer, then go over the top with por 15 silver. I plan on doing the floor and the trunk at the same time then going over it with a flat black basecoat. When it is done i'll post the before and after pictures.