1956 Buick Century/Super/Roadmaster questions

56Road

I have few questions based on the 1956 Buicks.

I always thought that the Super is one step lower than the Roadmaster yet its 50 series model compared to the Century which is 60 series. Why is that? Super shares alot more in common with the Roadmaster, they are both larger cars with same wheel base? Why is the Century better than a Super?

Also people have been wondering or maybe have been impressed that my Roadmaster has factory A/C. I thought all the Roadmasters came with factory A/C. Wasnt A/C standard in the Roadmasters?

Guest my3buicks

No, a/c was not only an option but fairly uncommon. You will get a lot of opinions on the hierarchy in the Buick lineup, once there were the 4 models, Special, Century, Super & Roadmaster, the Super was no longer the middle car. Once the 4 models were available I look at the Super as being the Special of the large Body and the Century being the Roadmaster of the small body. In my eyes, and by series designation the Century had more bragging rights at that time than the Super did. History has played out as the Century is worth more today than a comparable Super.

Non of the 56's came with a/c as standard equipment. And although I am pretty sure it was rarely ordered, I am constantly surprised at the number of 56's showing up with the option.

I also think it is a misinterpretation to look at the model numbers as the level of luxury. Looks like Buick used the 40,50,60, model numbers as early as 1930. The 60 series replaced the largest 29 Buicks. For 1931, the 40 was out and the 80,90 added. Then the 40 series came back in 1934, while in 1936 the 50 series was dropped. Also in 1936 the model names Special, Century, Roadmaster, and Limited were added. The 50 series Super did not come back till 1940. So you can see the model numbers were all over the place and generally followed the trend of the higher the number, the longer the wheelbase. But by 1936, the Century was using a more powerful motor then the Special, and by the late 40's to 55 the Century had the Roadmaster engine. In 1956 all the series had the same 322 cu in engine.

As to which model of 56 Buick is the best, well, you'll get as many varieties of answers as there are people interested in the car. I know if I had a chance to choose between a Roadmaster and an entry level two door Special with a stick shift, I'd be pushing the ole clutch way before choosing an idle left leg.

Guest my3buicks

Yes in 56 all series used the 322 engine, but the Super, Century and Roadmaster had a 4 barrel, higher compression raitio & horsepower