progress on the 'vert.

KDirk

Today we got perfect spring weather. So, it was time to address a few things on my new 1991 drop top. Cleaned grime off the airbag and horn buttons, some other minor interior cleaning and cleaned the tonneau cover as it had scum from the top sitting on it. Gave the car a wash to get the dust and some road grime off. Took rear left wheel and had the tire swapped onto a spare rim as the lip had a big chunk out of it. Probably was curbed prior to my purchase.

Dropped the visors and header trim panel to install new clips supplied by Kingsley (many thanks, they are exceptional reproductions!) But found a new problem. The plastic panel form was cracked in 4 places. Used thin aluminum sheet and plastic weld epoxy to repair it then reinstalled. Looks great.

Pulled the center console trim to clean it and repair the cupholder on the armrest. The fog lamp switch (which was visibly heat damaged from the internal bulbs) fell apart. Have a spare somewhere I need to track down.

Reconditioned the passenger side front cornering lamp housing, will do left tomorrow. Polished out the lens and repainted the flat black on top surface of the chrome bezel. Relamped and reinstalled. Repaired corrosion on left-most socket of 3rd brake light causing that bulb not to light. Replaced both license plate lamps. Also replaced the radio (temporarily) with an old Cadillac 1.5 din cassette w/EQ unit I had laying around. Cleaned the climate control head and cluster lens before reassembling.

I have an antenna torn down for rebuilding and will probably finish that this weekend. New speakers for the rear should be in tomorrow and got new grille cloth today. Will recover all 4 speaker grilles after installing the speakers. Have a Dr. Colorchip kit on the way to address scratches and nicks.Also need to rebuild both headlights (have parts on hand) and then do some rear brake work (rattling like a box of rocks) and refurbish the tail lamp.

The good news is that many of the suspension bushings look newer and the cradle bushings are all in great condition. I suspect these have been replaced withing the last few years. Clearly this car was not only garaged but well maintained. I was very lucky to pick this one up.

More to come!

KDirk

Another couple of days of progress to report. Have installed the new Kenwood 4x10 speakers in the rear. This was a bit of a job as the basket of these speakers is larger than the factory units. Out came the dremel tool and file, so I could slightly enlarge the sheet metal mount plate in the rear quarter trim to accommodate the new speakers without any binding. Once completed, I have to say I am very surprised at how good these sound, especially the low end response. I can highly recommend these speakers for anyone who isn't averse to doing a little mod work to make them fit. I realize this may put some people off, so keep the fitment issue in mind when considering these.

Presently I am using a Cadillac factory cassette/EQ head unit I had in storage [the original factory head unit was shot] and never thought 4x10s would sound this good. These are 2 ways, the only downside is the woofers have foam surrounds. I prefer rubber surrounds, but not many options to be had in this size, so these will have to do. I will be putting a better radio (Alpine CDA-9833, several years old but still a very good unit) with a 1.5 DIN adaptor kit shortly. This will bring the system up to my standards for quality listening. I've also recovered the rear speaker grilles with new tan cloth, but the color is not a good match. I'll be getting some interior colorant to spray these lightly to improve the color match.

I have done some scratch/nick repair with Dr. Colorchip touch up kit on the trunk, rear fenders and doors. The hood, headlamp covers and front bumper filler will need to be repainted. Simply too many nicks, scratches and peeling (on the filler panel) to repair with touch up paint.

Have an ABS hard error I've not yet tracked down. Cannot pull codes as there are three hard errors (failed pump, failed solenoid, and failed EBCM) that preclude getting the codes with the blink-out method. I must have one (or more) of these three errors. Looks like a TECH-1 may be in my future. Since I only have 5 cars (!!) that I can use it with, it is probably a worthy investment. Already have the ABS breakout box, so my collection of Reatta specific tools is getting fairly complete.

Once the weather gets a bit better on a sustained basis, I will pull the interior and shampoo the carpet out of the car, allow it to dry and reinstall. I may re-dye it, although my experience with doing that on my 2nd 88 coupe was not so great as to the color-fastness of the dye. That one has a burgundy interior, and the dye seems to come off on the soles of shoes, especially if it gets wet (I used Rit dye per the instructions, and still have this issue).

One thing I am considering is putting in an 88 glovebox and putting the 88 console switch bank beneath the radio in the extra half-din space left under the head unit. This would give me the fuel and trunk release more readily accessible, and put the fog lamp switch in a better spot (just my opinion). I would also like to add the headlamp retract function found in the 88's to the 91. This would require some wiring to fully implement but is worth doing for convenience.

KDirk

Kevin, since you own an '88 you already know the advantages of the 5 button console switch. Having recently retrofitted the '88 glove box and 5 button console switch to my '89, I have to say it is one of the better mods I have undertaken. Finding an intact '88 glove box and door will be the challenge, especially in the color you want. If you find one, be sure and grab as much of the 5 button console switch wiring as possible as well as the same with the glove box. Also grab the glove box light and switch as they are mounted to the dash frame not the glove box itself (they pop into openings in the frame). If you decide to move forward with this mod and have any questions, I will gladly share what I learned in the process as I documented it for my future reference.

David,

Thanks for the input and the offer of assistance! I have a tan 88 glovebox aleady on hand, with some harness. Need to get the light, the 5 button assembly and it's pigtail.

I am not planning on being a purist with this car as it has high miles and a salvage title (not wrecked or flooded, just attempted theft damage to the top) so I don't feel bad about some mods. Normally I'd leave a 91 roadster in factory configuration, save for the radio. This one has a low value due to the miles and title issue so I do not feel obligated keep it bone stock. Anything I do change will likely be reversible anyway.

I like the 88 glove box for the 'vert as it is inaccessible with the car off. So, if I park it briefly with the top down, I don't need to worry about opportunists rifling through the glove box. I know I can lock the 91 glovebox, but lets be honest: that lock is a joke. With no apparent release on the cover, it is less of a target in my way of think thinking.

I also never cared for the placement of the fuel and trunk release on the 89-91 design, which was borrowed from Cadillac. I feel these should be on the console or to the left of the IPC for driver convenience.

The extra space beneath the new radio (normally would be used for a half DIN EQ unit) will make a perfect spot for the switch bank with a minimum of fabrication work.

KDirk

Kevin,

If you happen to run across an extra set of '88 glove box light & switch, grab it for me. When Walter snagged my '88 glove box, neither of us thought about the glove box light and switch and by the time I realized it, the donor car had been crushed. I have been on the lookout but so far, have yet to find the light and switch.

If you watch eBay, you will find those 5 button switches come up from time to time, but of course without the wiring pigtail. I snagged one to have as a spare.

I also found that the typical discoloration that you see on the button lettering from finger oils can be lifted with Formula 409 and a Q-tip without damaging the lettering itself. I also was able to restore the uniform matt finish on the buttons, again wear from being pressed, by re-coating them with a clear matt spray finish (I totally disassembled the switch). End result was virtually NOS appearance.

I hear you on the purest aspect. I know that retrofitting my '89 with the '88 glove box and console switches would deduct points if judged in contest, but I have NO plans to have enter it into such. The way I look at it, this is my Reatta and I am not doing stupid things to it by any measure and they can be reversed.

Have been planning (and have) an 88 glove for my 'vert for some time. If I ever show it will be the '88 sunroof triple blue and not the '90. Like you said I often park with the top down in nice weather (just drop anything of value in trunk). Suspect I'll install along with the BT radio since will probably remove the CD player at the same time. Had thought I'd just put the gas and trunk buttons and another power outlet in armrest since not powered without key.

Padgett,

Its funny, the idea to do this came to me a couple of nights ago for a couple of reasons. First, the better top-down security angle. Second, I have some of the needed parts already on hand. Third, I have a Metra kit (not the 99-4000) that I had picked up a long time ago for a project the failed to materialize. This kit has a half DIN knockout beneath the radio opening for an eq. So, I will get to use up some parts from my stash, and do a convenient mod to my vert in the process. All makes sense since I am replacing the radio also.

I just wish I had more time to work on all of this.

KDirk