Wrecking yard Cortez Co.

In the mid 1980's I stumbled on an old wrecking yard in Cortez Colorado. Hundreds of 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's cars, mostly complete, and mostly from the 40,s and 50's on maybe as much as twenty acres which also contained a dilapidated dirt track. No other customers the day my former wife and I were there. While I explored I set her loose to take pictures. When she asked what I wanted pictures of I told her I didn't care because whatever she took she couldn't go wrong! As we left that day the owner offered to sell me the property and the inventory for $800,000. His attitude made me suspect that if I were to come back in five years I would probably fine nothing there. I tried to find the photos a number of times but I suspect that the ex took them. I even kept the phone number, which I now have misplaced, but which I had called several times over the years but got no answer.-Bill

My best guess is as you suggested, but I really can't be sure. Twenty + years is a long time, just glad that I could remember the town! As I remember we were going towards Durango, which would have put us on 160. It was only a short distance out of town and I think that we had already gone through Cortez. I can't believe that a, then, forty + year old yard would have been unnoticed in the Four Corners area. In a few years nobody will be around who remembers it, So it was now or never.-Bill

If you go to google maps satellite view you can clearly see a race track on the south side of the 160 as you are heading east out of town toward Durango. Looks newer and no trace of a wrecking yard but that is the only thing I've been able to find. My guess is it's just part of history now unfortunately.

Thanks, I have often thought of the yard because it was so unique, even twenty five years ago, but I did have the feeling that I was witnessing it's death throes. Last year, while in Colorado Springs, I considered driving home that way but it had been so hot and then there were the wild fires. I never thought about Google. I still have hopes that someone else on the forum will remember it. My lady friend says that I showed her the pictures so they must be around, I'll look again.-Bill

Found another possibility.

Can you tell me which way you were coming from at the time ? Were you coming from Utah or Arizona/New Mexico ?

Just southwest of Cortez off highways 160/491 where it intersects with G road on the northwest corner of that intersection. If you were heading to Cortez from the New Mexico or Arizona region it may be a possibility.

There is also a wrecking yard southeast of that intersection on the east side of the 160/491 south of G road

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)